Yellowstone eruption threat high

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Matak said:
Could you play frisbee in 1/6 gravity and no atmosphere? My guess is yes.
That's what domes are for. :)

flyingfish

time to play!
Dec 26, 2004
Timmain - you are a man after my husbands own heart. Did you play in an Icebowl this year? My man headed up the one here.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Timmain42 said:
I don't see why you are all worried. ... If you live past 80, consider yourself lucky...... Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy the time you currently have.
., if you're REALLY that worried about the extinction of the human race, start throwing your time and money into space research. ..
Link: http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0414/p25s01-stss.html

Space "research" brings us to bashing a rock in space on the fouth of July. Seems like overpopulation is a big consideration on this rock (Earth). And, for some reason, I'm not feeling comfortable with the situation right now..

Maybe it's just me - but I'd like to hope and give our kids a much better future than what I can foresee right now.

One point is when our Pres says basically - " tighten up people and bite the bullet, because the saudis (etc..) control our energy ... conserve.. "

Another really big point is..

Naa, not now..

:idea:

;)

Last edited:

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
flyingfish said:
Timmain - you are a man after my husbands own heart. Did you play in an Icebowl this year? My man headed up the one here.
Nope. Sorry. :(

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Gloom and doomers

There's been Gloom and Doomers crying about the end of the world as long as there has been spoken words. Global Warming, the impending Ice Age (funny how those two are holding the temps in near balance -- see Scientific American magazine last month, in your local library), running out of Oil, hole in the Ozone, over population (that's funny, check the average age in Japan and most of Western Europe), the aging of America, ebola, bird flu, the next pandemic whatever flu.

After you see a few of these come and go, you may develop a better appreciation for the resilency of humankind. Yes, individuals will die in volcanic explosions, viral epidemics, tidal waves, freak storms of all sorts. Some islands will submerge beneath the waves and others will be raised up revealing lost temples (see the coast of Laos after the tsunamie).

But, the end, the actual end, is not likely. There are always Doom and Gloomers ready to write a best-seller book on how it will happen any minute and how you need to follow them to save yourself. They typically end up very rich, but for those that convince their followers to head for the jungles and drink poisoned Kool-Aid (see Jim Jones in Guyana (?) in the late 70's).

So, chill out. Live each day as it it matters. Not as if it is your last day on earth, but just as though it matters. You are afterall an individual, and we all die one by one.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
PumaWard--technology hasn't managed to solve a single environmental problem, including many which are the direct result of technology. I wouldn't put much faith in it now.
That's not what I meant. If there is a winter caused by ash we will be able to sustain ourselves at least for a short period of time.

And, actually, techology has managed to solve envirmental problems or, at the very least, lessen their impact greatly... might I mention sewage treament plants (as aposed to dumping raw sewage in out freshwater bodies)? The discovery that phosphorous causes eutrophication in freshwater bodies? Finding an alternative to CFCs? Better milage and therefore less pollution in automobiles? A method known as scrubbing which reduces particulates and sulfur dioxide in coal plant emissions which also means less acid rain and pollution? ... all of which would not have happened if it weren't for that horrid technology...

Personally, I believe this "threat" is a bunch of crock.... I don't have a lot of faith in discovery's "what if" programs.. I know their "Alien Planet" was particularly sad...

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
PumaWard said:
Personally, I believe this "threat" is a bunch of crock.... I don't have a lot of faith in discovery's "what if" programs.. I know their "Alien Planet" was particularly sad...
Only because you (and I, and the Missus, and everyone else watching the show) got emotionally attached to Leo and Ike. On an entertainmentscale, it was pretty awesome... especially the Ameobic Sea.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
PumaWard said:
...might I mention sewage treament plants (as aposed to dumping raw sewage in out freshwater bodies)? The discovery that phosphorous causes eutrophication in freshwater bodies? Finding an alternative to CFCs? Better milage and therefore less pollution in automobiles? A method known as scrubbing which reduces particulates and sulfur dioxide in coal plant emissions which also means less acid rain and pollution? ... all of which would not have happened if it weren't for that horrid technology...
None of those things would have been a problem without technology. Heck, the number of people on this planet wouldn't be a concern if it weren't for technology that increases newborn survival rates and extends lifespans, not to mention the number of people who would not still be alive were it not for technology.

Do your own research, and decide if you think just hanging around and living your life like it's important is the best option. I don't have kids, but for those of you that do, consider what the world will be like in 50 more years--look at pictures of local places from 50 years ago, and compare with what's there today. In most places, today won't look so favorable.

Last edited:

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I agree... but enviromental problems are caused by people, as they aren't problems if caused by natural tendencies.

And, yes, technology has led to enviromental problems, but has also increased the standard of living of millions of people. We can't change what has happened, but to say technology can't solve enviromental problems or lessen their impact is wrong.

You also can't predict the future. To say it's going to be horrible in 50 years isn't right... 50years ago, it may have been prettier, but you couldn't go swimming or drink in the local stream because it was so filled with sewage and other nice stuff.... they were also dumping mercury, lead, PCBs and loads of other things into freshwater bodies... like DDT... Oh, let's not forget Love Canal, where they dumped all sorts of toxins into a halfway dug canal then buried over and sold it... then buildings and a school came along and kids got sick and still births were up... 50 years ago, we were a whole lot less enviromentally friendly. I predict things will be better in 50 years. Oh, and they could legally fill in wetlands...

As for Alien Planet, I didn't think the creatures were very realistic ;)... everyting on land had 2 legs except for one thing. And the animal with the legs which had "fused together", I don't see how that would benefit the animal...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store