Yellowtail Coris Wrasse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Hey guys

Just wondering if a Yellowtail Coris Wrasse are good for reef tanks and if you have any info on them. The main reason why I want to get one is because i believe they flip the sand constantly which is what i want for my DSB and because they look stunning. :grinyes:

Thanks for any advice.

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I have a coris wrasse in a FO tank. It's constantly rooting around looking for tidbits and I imagine it could wreak havoc with a reef tank.

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
The main reason why I want to get one is because i believe they flip the sand constantly which is what i want for my DSB .
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's exactly what you don't want for a DSB. I have read that a "yellow coris wrasse" is useful for controlling pyramellid snails of Tridacna clams, but this was anecdotal and I could not find a species name.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Everything I've read says that they're not reef safe and that they will eat hermit crabs, shrimps and sea urchins etc. Larger ones may also rearrange your rockwork and we all know how fussy we are with out rockscapes:grinyes:

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Well this fish sounds like a pain in the ***. but i do need a wrasse to flip the top half of my sand so what about a Labout's Fairy Wrasse and blackwolfxkav i sure you have to flip the top half of your DSB because thats were oxygen needs to be the aerobic layer. or am i wrong????????

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Everything I've read says that they're not reef safe and that they will eat hermit crabs, shrimps and sea urchins etc. Larger ones may also rearrange your rockwork and we all know how fussy we are with out rockscapes:grinyes:
Mine has done all of the above.............:grinyes:

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
i think you do want some movement for aerobic bacteria because they actually need oxygen to grow.... so I think some narsarius snails would be a good idea. Fishes often stirr up the sand so well that it will just sift the whole thing, and I dont think you want that. so I would reccomend some type of invertebrate that will mix the sand. sandsifting stars are good too.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It all depends upon which wrasse you are referring to. It sounds as though folks are discussing a couple of different species, which are either Halichoeres chrysus (great fish), or one of the true coris wrasses, like Coris gaimard. Either way, if you want something to turn over your sand bed, no fish is the answer. Look to Nassarius whelks (except Ilyanassa obsoleta) and cerithid snails. They will do a much better job without the harm a fish could inflict.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store