Yes or no..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rooter

Tommy Root
Dec 28, 2007
Ontario
i have 6 small tangs - marlieri and julidochromis - and they get along fin with my venustus borleyi's and other larger malawis so i wold say as long as ythey are juvies like mine when i first got em i woudl give it a shot

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Okay, heres some I like that may do okay:

Orange Leleupie ( Neolamprologus leleupi)
Marlieri (Julidochromis marlieri)
Duboisi (Tropheus duboisii)
Tretocephalus (Lamprologus tretacephaleus)
Gold Head Compressicep (Altolamprologus compressicep)
Gold Sexfasciatus (Neolamprologus sexfasciatus)
Moorii (Tropheus moorii)
Dickfeldi (Julidochromis dickfeldi)

Those are the ones that I like the most, hopefully some could work??? Any input would be appreciated.
Tropheus and mbuna...maybe though I wouldnt recommend it.

Others I would say no. Shellies especially. Julies and leleupi would get out competed for rock work

i have 6 small tangs - marlieri and julidochromis - and they get along fin with my venustus borleyi's and other larger malawis so i wold say as long as ythey are juvies like mine when i first got em i woudl give it a shot
Getting them when they are juvies isnt going to make a difference. Malawis will get much more aggressive as they mature and most tangs cannot handle that type of aggression.

Take into consideration the adult size of the fish you have. Smaller fish will be considered food...

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
they may have different diets but are not incompatible. They all eat NLS cichlid formula vigorously.
1) Mbuna are much more agressive than your average Altolamprologus.
2) they grow slower than most mbuna, which makes things worse.
3) mbunas are typically vegetarian, altolamps. are not.

Sounds pretty incompatible to me.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Can't say it would work in all instances but I've got a single tropheus duboisi in my mbuna tank (stocked with a few dozen mostly pseudotropheus and metriaclima type mbunas) and the tropheus fits in just fine (plus their dietary requirements are aligned).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store