YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
Just throwing this out there to see how how many good folks in the aquarium community share my curiosity about coldwater aquaria. Most aquarium people may think that temperate marine aquarium fish are all drab, and having a name like "spiny lumpfish" would hardly dispell such a notion, so you have got to see this...

purplelumpfish.jpg

lavenderlumpfish.jpg

goldlumpfish.jpg

redlumpfish.jpg

purplelumpfish.jpg lavenderlumpfish.jpg goldlumpfish.jpg redlumpfish.jpg

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
There was no aquarium husbandry info accompanying these particular photos, but I do know from discussion with others that they are being bred in aquariums(!). Unfortunately, this is at a public aquarium so one would need AZA certification to obtain them from that source (I think). Still, the mere fact that they're being raised in captivity is pretty encouraging. These are from the Pacific Northwest, but there are other species on the North Atlantic coast as well (at least in this case, coloration is sexually dimorphic). If you find more, let us know!

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
I tell you, temperate cold water livestock can be just as colourful and exciting as tropical. Having lived in the pacific northwest for years and done some diving up there the anemones alone are spectacular......an interesting and challenge for the hobbyist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store