your favorite... "guess the pleco!"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i picked this one up last night for $3.18 ...... any guesses as to what type it is? i know it's not a common.......... :confused:

sorry for the image quality, the cameras a little old and taking pictures thru the plastic bag doesn't help. hopefully this will fix my algae problem, 1 little oto in a 55g doesn't cut it when you like to leaves the lights on too much. :)

other pix......

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
either
Glopterichthys gibbiceps or Hypostomus plecostomus

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
fishypoo: nice try, no good. now that it's settled in, brown to dark brown fish with white spots, pectoral fins have a light edge and all the fins are striped, also a fancy tail. ancistrus sp3 seemed to be sort of similar for "just" the colors.....

valerie: it was a petco. (if that doesn't say it all...) they had tanks and tanks of commons and then this tank with this one and one other like it. i asked the kid to net it and bag it, he took a look and said "that's not the same as the others". he went to find the right tag for it, but i guess he was feeling nice and it was too much hassle. so he came back and said "since they didn't tag the tank the right way, i'll give it to you for the same price as the others". they get $2.99 per common pleco + 6% sales tax = $3.17

so.... he had nothing to gain by telling me it wasn't common, i was going to buy one of them anyway. he even offered me a foot long common for free, i guess he could tell i was a hobbiest or something.....

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
just some new, better pix....

i don't know how you guys get em to flare their fins like they do in most of the pix, he/she was darn near impossible about doing it.

another thing...... can you tell if it's male or female?

TIA
jeff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store