Your input Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Well I dont know what do do bout the salt.

I could drive to my lfs and use there 1.021 seachem reef salt, and buy my own and add till its 1.025?

Or add my instant ocean to the lfs premix till its 1.025

Buy my own salt and mix it, wont be letting it set 24hrs and, wont be using ro/di to make it. most likely it will be tap water with seachem prime added.

Or switch LFS premix, which does mean switching brands and they will use a refracto and ro/di water to make it with. Only thing is the lfs I was going to is the only one that holds it 24hrs and aerates then makes it available.

I might be able to buy it from a hobbyist by me. I joined fwmas.org or fort wayne marine aquatic society. there forum isnt nearly as busy as this one thought. A few of them have very large top off and mix tanks waiting and ready.

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
Mixing salt isn't a problem. I changed from coralife scientific grade -> red sea coral pro -> aquavitro salinity and at no time did I ever mix old and new, just made new batches with new salt and did my changes. If you want to mix the lfs salt with your salt that will also be no problem.

I have a guy who buys 50g of ro/di off me every couple of weeks. I charge him $20 - just so you have a reference if buying from hobbyists.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
the main lfs is low 1.020-21 thats where I was going

other lfs, uses a hyrometer thats isnt calibrated with a refracto

other lfs just dumped salt in my bucket and added ro and said here ya go. that they new how much salt to add to get it 1.023. 20mins later is 1.021 and im running my powerhead in it to continue to mix it, better than his pvc stick. UGH

Im going to buy it from a hobbyist in my group. He keeps it ready to go and on tap. tropic marin and 1.025

I just dont have the time and space, to mix my own and let it set with a powerhead in it for 24hrs.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
o/4 really.

petwarehouse 1.021-22
broadway aquatics uses a non refracto calibrated hyrometer
"the pet store" was 1.020-21
Coral Reef, supposedly knows the amount in a 5g bucket to achieve 1.023 but it was a lil low after 1hr with the powerhead and heater.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
A hydrometer, even calibrated can be off just w/ temperature variations.
I personally would not sweat changing salts, but keeping the same/stability would be my pref.
Please don't do yourself harm by using tap, period, conditioner or not, most areas just contain too high TDS/phos and stuff that could cause algae nightmares.
I think that alone may be biggest reason for people dumping the hobby other than $$$

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Well the lfs I got it from did end up being 1.023- finally.

Im going to get it from a guy for 1.00 gal. tropic marin, ready to go, overnight sat and tested.

Algae is under wraps, thanks to gfo
Salinity is good and will be now.
Fuge's should be good, now with more chateo and intank ball
Corals look even happier
All my fish have died from ick and herbrtana worked off and on. Died before sal changes
Going to wait 6wks for ick to die naturally and then think about a fish.
Still have to dose my flatworm exit sumtime
Light is at 15". I think im guna leave it, maybe one more inch and see if the fan can handle it.
Tank stays 80 deg all the time now.
Still going to get it tested in a week to check everything.

Lemme know what you think. Thanks people. I hope I have it under wraps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store