Yoyo loach tank mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
I'm wondering if yoyo loaches can co exist with 4 peppered cories, a three lined cory, and 5 kuhli loaches? I currently have a cycled 2 month old 55 gallon tank with two AC70. I also have 7 dwarf neon rainbow fish, 6 cherry barbs, marbled molly, 10 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios. I feel I have space for another fish but I would like to get 3 yoyo's since they were the main reason I even got a 55g =P

Edit: Does it matter that I have an open hood tank? None of my fish ever have attempted to jump and my kuhli's are not mischievous at all.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your tank is already pretty heavily stocked but not with bottom dwellers. Yoyos are semi-aggressive & get to 6 inches, not really a good fit with what you have. Time for another tank...a 20g long for the shyer fish--that's a better idea

I'd go with smaller loaches, sids or striatas & get more, 3 is not a good number, 5 or 6 would be my minimum.
I don't have yoyos, I have histrionicas, similar but smaller, 7 in a 55g with only a few other fish. They're quite rowdy at feeding times & I'd worry your kuhlis will just hide all the time, neons & maybe the cherry barbs too. My 3-4 inch denisoni barbs are intimidated by them.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I have to agree that YoYo's are moderately aggressive. I have 2/ 3" fellas in my 60 and they really like to kind of boss everyone around. They chase my 3/ 3" poor Clowns around, all the time! They don't hurt them, I haven't seen any marks or anything but my Clowns are hiding more. I really regret getting them, at all! I have heard that if you get 4 or 5 of them, they're no problem at all, they just harrass each other, LOL!

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
hmm good to hear. I guess I'll just fill in the peppered cory school and replace the dead neon tetra I found today (mysterious death).

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Yes...I also had a few "mysterious" Harlequin Rasbora deaths, as well, hmmm....:swear:

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Too late I got them already =P didn't come back to read this thread till now I've been uber busy. All is fine though. My kuhli loaches have been "partying" all day too which I find weird. They are all dancing on the glass in circles and stuff. Pretty cool to see them out and about when the lights are on. They finally started to explore the tank after they got tired from "partying"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store