Zebra Danio Fry!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd try to only use sponge bubbler filters on a fry tank. You don't have to worry about covering anything then.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I know that would be best but I don't have one and I can't really afford it. On the plus side, I can turn the flow way down, so they don't get pulled in. From what I am seeing, there have been no problems with the filter anyway. The intake is low, and the fry are swimming high.
Brian

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
So I went ahead and mixed up some flake juice last night. Today I was able to feed it, and it looked to me like some of them were nibbling at some of particles, at least as best I could tell. I guess I'll keep that up.
I came home from school today and found most all of them free swimming and almost visible. There are quite a few more than I thought I grabbed; I guess I didn't keep a good count. Not actually counting, I'd say between one and two score. Hopefully that will increase my odds of survival.
Speaking of survival odds, I did tests on the water yesterday and confirmed my tank is not fully cycled. I had a decent amount (not sure of the exact number) of nitrites. The good news is, that probably means the cycle is progressing quickly if I understand properly. I guess that media from the main tank helped a bit. The fry haven't reacted visibly to the nitrite, so I'm just going to leave everything alone.

Thanks,
Brian

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Brian, sponge filters can be had through eBay for a few dollars, shipped to your door. That's where I buy mine.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I'll probably change some water tomorrow. I'm just concerned that I might take some fry by mistake. I know nitrite is bad, but since they don't seem too upset by it, I'm not going to worry about it too much.
Thanks,
Brian

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Please do a WC soon. You can just dip the water out with a bowl or cup, but you must get Nitrites out. They may not show stress, but will weaken them.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Planning on it. I did manage to get a little yesterday I believe it was. Thanks for your concern though, you've all been so helpful. I'll continue to post significant updates ever few dats, and ask questions when I have them.
Thanks,
Brian

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I just found this doing a little research:

Infusoria: Phytoplankton (Green Water)
Infusoria can be broken down into two categories. Zooplankton (discussed in the previous section) include microscopic living animals. Phytoplankton include microscopic plant material (0.02 to 2 millimeters in length). Aquarists speak of using green water as food, but they are actually referring to phytoplankton.

"Green water is very easy to cultivate and extremely inexpensive. Simply take some water out of the aquarium (you should not need spinach, hay or lettuce for a culture if you use aquarium water), put it into a 1-quart jar, and place the jar in the sun. The sunlight will cause the water to turn green within a couple of days. When the water turns green, remove some and feed your fish. Then add some new aquarium water back to the culture to help maintain its longevity.

You’ll notice that this is very similar to how we cultured infusoria, and for good reason. Because they both contain microorganisms, we are relying on the replication of those for food. Any culture made from an aquarium will have both zooplankton and phytoplankton, but by increasing the direct sunlight by two to three hours, we encourage more phytoplankton to grow. On the other hand, if you keep the jar in an area that isn’t as well-lit, more zooplankton will grow.

Green water is among the smallest foods available, and many aquarists consider it indispensable when raising newly hatched fry that are too small to accept most other foods. Because the green water will float in the aquarium water, it can stay in the fish aquarium for a long time until it is consumed. One drawback is that the culture may suddenly collapse and need to be replaced. For this reason, it’s recommended to have multiple cultures “percolating” at the same time. It is also possible to order specific phytoplankton and grow them with more specific culturing and harvesting techniques."

Found that on FishChannel.com, not mine at all. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried such a system, and if so how well does it work? I might give this a shot, since it sounds like a relatively quick process to start. I would also assume that since they are alive, the uneaten portion would not pollute the water, or at least not as quickly. This sounds like the sort of culture that is within my ability, just put some water in the sun. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Brian

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use to use lettus leaves with aquarium water. The above is not totally true, I do not see how you can produce enough "Green Water" with no added nutrients.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store