Zebra danios not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
Hi everyone! I have 6 gal tank with four zebra danios and one blue danio. This morning I put some tropical flakes in the tank, they only took couple of bites and got back to chasing each other. Now that is unusual, my danios never turn down a meal, they gobble up their food witin seconds. They seem happy, water parameters are perfect. They are also keep eating something from the gravel, but I took magnifying glass and couldn't see anything:confused:

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
My zebras are pretty much pigs. Why not try adding something other than flakes to their diet. You could give them some bloodworms or brine shrimp (both freeze dried). Maybe they are just bored with the food choice!

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
for their diet stick with freeze dried or frozen if you can (cheaper that way) just give them a day and try feeding again. it's normal for fish to miss a feeding time. And, for the long haul you probably will want to move them to a larger tank. What are the readings from your water? how long have you had them and how long has the tank been running?

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA

I got danios 2 months ago from Petco, they sold us 5 danios to cycle 2 gallon tank that we were buying, jeah I know.. I did not know anything about fish keeping then. When we got home I went online and found out a lot of things that they did not tell me, next day went and got 6 gallon and put zebras there. All survived cycling, I did 50% water changes every day. They are always playing around, I did not think 6 gal is too small, they are 1 inch fishies. I can move them to 29 gal that I will be getting in a month:dance:
I do feed them bloodworms, frozen and freeze dried. I gave them bloodworms last night and they ate just fine, I guess they are just becoming too picky.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah, it's not the the volume of the water is too small - 6 skinny one inch fish will not overdo it in there. but danios as you have seen are very active and playful. they will use all the space they are given, and a bigger tank gives them more room to swim and show natural behaviors. plus then you can add like 8 more and really watch them go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store