zebra hermits??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
sorry no advice on these hermits BUT i have three marine fish shop`s local that i use & one of them stock these hermits six for £10 so i also would like some advice because they seem very cheap for there size.....

if you do run the gamble please make a new thread to see how they went..

skiffalope

Washed up on the Reef
May 15, 2006
Riverside, CA
Great little buggers for doing algae cleanup. And fun to watch.

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
same as most hermits eat algae and will evict a snail for its shell when it needs to. i have 20 of them, never harmed anything else besides those unlucky snail.

fsa

AC Members
May 29, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
Just saw this thread. I, too, would like to know. That is great news about the zebras as just yesterday I bought a "left handed" zebra hermit. Is this the same as what you are talking about. He has a huge left club/claw. Just bought the one. I thought they looked really neat. Hope he's fairly reef safe. So far he's been on a rock all by himself doing his thing.

Thx, Frank

skiffalope

Washed up on the Reef
May 15, 2006
Riverside, CA
nccoastal said:
same as most hermits eat algae and will evict a snail for its shell when it needs to. i have 20 of them, never harmed anything else besides those unlucky snail.
I didn't know that Zebra's or hc's booted snails from their shells. Is this common? I just lost two turbos and one of my hc's moved into it's shell!

Any ideas?

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
hermit crabs blue red zebra all compete 4 shell`s & seen as crabs put up a fight 4 there shell your turbo snails are a very easy target sorry this is very common all hermits love a new shell

skiffalope

Washed up on the Reef
May 15, 2006
Riverside, CA
sapgranth25 said:
hermit crabs blue red zebra all compete 4 shell`s & seen as crabs put up a fight 4 there shell your turbo snails are a very easy target sorry this is very common all hermits love a new shell
Well, at least that explains why my snails were dying. My water quality is great (even with the snail sitting dead in the tank, my quality only modified a little). Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this from happening again. The snails are 3 bucks and the crabs are only 99 cents. I don't want to buy more snails jsut to have them killed off.

Let me know

Thanks.

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
i know snails are a really strong & good part of the cleaning crew but to be honest just scrap the snails & have a crab cleaning crew in my eyes crabs are best hands down..........

try remove dead snails a.s.a.p cos they will make your water quailty down but keep the shells for your hermits....

sorry my spelling is pooh

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Certain hermits are less lethal than others. Scarlet reef hermits are the more docile and less likely to shell jack the snails if given good empty shells to move into. The red legged and blue legs are equally good. All will clean up your tank. Though if I had my druthers, I wouldn't have added hermits at all and just stuck with snails......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store