Zebra loach died with no warning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
I bought 3 zebra loaches a few weeks ago. I actually watched the same 3 for 3 weeks in this little LFS. I am positive its the same three as they put new ones in another tank at my asking and I was there daily. Finally I decided to take these guys home. Quaranteened for about 10 days and released into my tank when I did a waterchange last Thursday.
Parameters were as always Ammonia 0, nitrite O nitrate 5 ph 6.8 temp 76 degrees.
I test my water ever 3 days as I have lots of plants to absorb nitrate but I also have growing silver dollars making waste and eating plants and Im always concerned of nitrate levels for my german rams.
On Monday my parameters were the same as above as expected. Wedneday night when I came home I noticed that the silver dollars had decided to wipe out the moneywort plants that day, fine, no biggie I was going to get out any floating pieces and check the water params after dinner.
However, when I came back by the tank an hour later I noticed right in the middle was the larger zebra loach on his side. At first I thouhght he was resting. But as I started removing plant pieces it became apparent he was dead. Everyone else is acting normal. Water params showed nitrates had risen to 20 ppm. Yikes for my rams I always keep it under 10. I did the typical water change of 20% and nitrates only dropped to 10 (usually the drop almost to 0, and definately below 5) Everyone else seems fine and Im doing another water change tonite.

But what happened to the loach? DId the eaten money worts, since destroyed so quickly cause the faster nitrate raise? Is that what killed the loach?

It also seems like the silver dollars hit a growth spurt. Theyve always had hearty appetites, but all of a sudden its increased 10 fold and they grew a bit over night. Getting fiesty too, about jumped out of the water this morning when I sprinkled in a pinch of spirinula flakes.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
How big is your tank?
My nitrate levels are usually around 10ppm. A few weeks ago it rose to 20-25ppm after I slacked off on the size of my water changes. Those levels are considered 'safe' for most fish but not ideal. None of my fish suffered any ill effects (it's back down to 10ppm now).

Sometimes fish just die either because of just stress, genetics, hidden diseases/parasites the list is endless. Maybe the nitrate rise killed him maybe it stressed him a bit or maybe is was something else. I would keep a close eye on your other fish for a while, other than that I don't know.

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
Thanks.
The tank is a 55 gallon. I hadnt changed annything but when doing water changes again I found my moneywort plants were melting, and not getting eaten after all, I believe that caused the nitrate increase.

Everyone else still seems fine, even the german rams dont seem stressed.

(this tank has 3 silver dollars, 2 male highfin platys, 3 zebra loaches, 2 german rams, 2 otos and 7 glow-light tetras and lots of plants)

loachaholic

AC Members
Loaches can be difficult to acclimate, and this sometimes happens. A couple of question:

1. Do you have lots of current? New loaches seem to have higher oxygen requirements than those that have become acclimated to your tank. If the temp in your tank is above about 78 the requirement for surface agitation is even higher.

2. Have you actually seen this loach eat? Loaches, especially botiine loaches, are famous for staging hunger strikes when there are changes to their environment.

3. What about bullying? Are the rams breeding? If so, they could be territorial.

Good luck with the other guys! They are active, delightful little fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store