Zeolite marine safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I have these filter pads that are filled with carbon and zolite? i dk what that stuff is but the pads are perfect fit for my pico and i wanna use it for it, any idea if this stuff is okay to use? these pads were from a HQI filtering system boyught for freshwater back in the day

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Zeolite**

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It won't hurt anything, but it won't do much in seawater, either. I know many of the carbon dosing systems rely on it, but I'm not sure how or if it actually does anything (I don't believe it does, other than providing area for bacterial growth, which I believe is the main benefit in systems like Zeovit). So, yeah :D.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
lol okay man! i dont care if it does anything or not im just more interested in the pad and carbon :) anything added by it is a bonus! thanks im glad its safe!

Last edited:

Esox lucius

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
It depends on the type of zeolite as there are many different types. The most common used in aquaria are analcime, chabazite, phillipsite and clinoptilolite. Each zeolite absorbs different chemicals, zeolites can also be modified to absorb other chemicals or to improve its absorbance. The most commonly used zeolite in freshwater is clinoptilolite for the removal of ammonia. Analcime is used to absorb nitrite and nitrate. In saltwater zeolites act differently due to the high amounts of sodium. There are a few theories as to why they work so well with carbon dosing.

Esox lucius

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Have the pads been used before? They might need recharging to stop them dumping any chemicals.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
It depends on the type of zeolite as there are many different types. The most common used in aquaria are analcime, chabazite, phillipsite and clinoptilolite. Each zeolite absorbs different chemicals, zeolites can also be modified to absorb other chemicals or to improve its absorbance. The most commonly used zeolite in freshwater is clinoptilolite for the removal of ammonia. Analcime is used to absorb nitrite and nitrate. In saltwater zeolites act differently due to the high amounts of sodium. There are a few theories as to why they work so well with carbon dosing.

Good info. Zeo will soften (remove mineral) the water thus I would not use in s/w.
Most Resins/granules with Zeo should state not for s/w if memory serves..

Esox lucius

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I use zeovit in my marine tank, it is a mix of three zeolites. They do work in sea water, just slightly different to how they work in freshwater. You can also get ultralith made by fauna marin which is a mix of zeolites also for marine tanks. A lot of people use cat litter which is the zeolite clinoptilolite for there substrate in refugiums.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
This must be something new on the market????

I just read some of their article and hope i can try them out very soon.

Although this may be great products, I am little skeptical as to their warning on overdosing. Maybe this is not a product for all hoobyist and with well established reef set up. If reef set up is not broken, why fix it.

Plus how they make it sound like it is imperative to use rest of their products, I wuld not try on well established tanks. I do find them somewhat intriguing thus would try out with new set up after further reading materials. Research all chemical and physical properties before spending a dime.

Another thing which I was not happy is that their product will compete with naturally occuring bio activities in nitrification process.

Esox, Did you started your reef with this product from the beginning or added to well established system?

I sure like to try out on new set up.

Esox lucius

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I have been using activated carbon, plus organic carbon and bacteria dosing for about 9 months on a tank system which is now 2 and a half years old. I added zeovit at the start of this month in a DIY zeovit reactor. Your advice is absolutely correct, read as much as you can on the zeovit or ultralith systems. This method is not for the newbie really, you can use the 14 day method with zeovit for starting a new tank if this is the route you want to take. See link; http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/service/initial-cycle-just-14-days/

Plus I would recommend reading the Zeovit guide; http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/korallenzucht_brochure_engl.pdf

There is also a forum dedicated to this method.

It is easy to overdose because zeo products as very concentrated, the thing you hear a lot of zeovit users say 'less is more' with zeovit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store