Zoas seperating from rock.. Normal; not normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I tried gluing some onto another rock, and most didn't make it.. I have one left on the rock at this time, but once they died, something picked the rock clean..
If something is picking the rock clean are you sure you haven't got a nudibranch or something eating them and lossening them?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Maybe one of your fish is pulling them up--you said another was picked clean?

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I agree with Grins, zoas and shrooms tend to be sensative with Iodine for some reason, I read an article somewhere (I think WWM) about that. Clown-lovers idea will work, I have seen it done before. Use a mesh bag. Zoas are tough, don't give up on them!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I'll give it a little time.. No more iodine for a bit.

They were doing great for a while; spreading on the rock and everything. So, something changed.
I'm doing the iodine and calcium. Should I nix the calcium too?

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Again, I don't have a calcium test kit...
I've been having a hard time finding one at the lfs's..

My salinity is constant, at 1.023
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 20 and 40 (Still waiting for my LFS to get in some macroalgae)
Ammonia .5

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
How long has this tank been set up? I'd do a large water change now. You should NEVER have any ammonia & nitrates have to be kept <10, to support healthy corals (<5 is even better).

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
This tank is about 6 months old...
I do 10% weekly water changes, and I'm trying to find some macroalgae locally to help with the nitrates.

Honestly, I've had one casualty in my tank since I stocked it. It's quite stable, and I'm consistent with testing and maintenence.
As for the ammonia, I think I need a new test kit. It was a "hand me down", and I think it might be no good... I've never gotten a reading lower than .5 since I started the tank. There may be a possibility it's a fresh water test kit.. It doesn't say on the bottle.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'll give it a little time.. No more iodine for a bit.

They were doing great for a while; spreading on the rock and everything. So, something changed.
I'm doing the iodine and calcium. Should I nix the calcium too?
I believe in the guideline of not dosing anything that you don't test for. With Calcium you'll want to test for 3 things...Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium. This is because you want the Calcium and Alkalinity balanced with one another and the Mg can have an effect on them.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
As for the ammonia, I think I need a new test kit. It was a "hand me down", and I think it might be no good... I've never gotten a reading lower than .5 since I started the tank. There may be a possibility it's a fresh water test kit.. It doesn't say on the bottle.
I'd definitely get a new kit. I'd want to be sure it was at 0.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store