Experiences - Swapping out a 75G w/ 90G! (IMGs)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I just wanted to share my experience of swapping out my 75G tank with my 90G just acquired from BostonEric! Thanks ERIC!! :D

Late Sunday afternoon I drove into my driveway and had no one to help me move the tank out of my truck! I'm French, so I did this myself... Belive it or not, I was actually able to lift the tank solo and move it in for the night.

Monday, after a few calls, I drove out to my LFS and grabbed UGF plate (48x13) and powerhead (Aquaclear 70?), so it is not full size, but I didn't want it to be. I got home at 1:30pm.

I next put the 90G back into the truck and backed it up to the front door. Using my planks again, I slowly slid it down onto a waiting rug and used this to slide it into the next room. Rinse and repeat for the 35 and 45G rubbermaid barrels of gravel and Eric's old tank water.

2:00 - Started draining the 75G. I had all of the accessories and everything set up waiting to go.

2:30 - All of the decorations and plants were removed and out of the way. the remaining water in the tank is being syphoned into the 3rd 35G riubber barrel double-lined w/ 20G fish bags (from the LFS). After placing an old air-pump in there I waited for the water to fill.

2:45 - Fish have been removed safely (BTW - The Raphael DOES talk!!!).

3:00 - Next I proceeded to 'slide' the 75G off of the stand and onto another (see image). I also next lifted the 90G and did the same. Before placing the 90G onto the stand I added 3/4" plywood to increase support and strength to my existing stand.

3:30 - Finished placing the 90G into place and removing the 75G as well as filling the tank with sand and gravel (Used the gravel provided by Eric, which was left in his old tank water)

4:30 - Tank is finished filling, major items are added and both filters (powerhead and Penguin 400) have been up and running for ~20 minutes. Fish have been doing well. Letting the water settle before added them.

5:00 - tested the water: Ammonia/nitrItes = 0.0 NitrAtes = 0.05

5:30 - Fish added and clean-up begins... Leaving lights off and letting fish 'chill out'. Orange water is from the driftwood, which was only a week old when in the 75G.

*Fish were in the barrel for 2.5 hours... :(

6:00 - Added a nylon stocking full of old gravel from 75G (about 2 lbs). Tested the water: Ammonia/nitrItes = 0.0 NitrAtes = 0.10

Tuesday 6:30am - Tested the water: Ammonia/nitrItes = 0.0 NitrAtes = 0.10 (myabe 0.15ppm)

Last Piucture was taken at 5:45 pm Monday

Tank Install 001.jpg Tank Install 002.jpg Tank Install 003.jpg Tank Install 005.jpg Tank Install 011.jpg Tank Install 015.jpg

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good to go.

(No need to hold your gut in though. :) )

ct-death

Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
(No need to hold your gut in though. :) )
LoL - After my wife yelled at me for doing this by myself and alone...She was quite impressed and just had to have an image of me by the tank. Actually I think I forgot to suck in...or is that just a little extra!!! :eek:

ct-death

Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Thanks JRR! :D

I figured that I used about 2 gallons of water trapped in the gravel and I ended up reusing about 15-20 gallons from my own tank (depending on how much one of those kitty-litter buckets hold).

The rest is fresh water, which I added a little more than a double dose of Stress-Coat.

The 1 week old driftwood if really releasing a lot of tea-water, which is my only real concern for the 1st 24 hours. My next, is to watch for a mini-cycle burp...

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Love the 90!

Don't sweat it about the fish being in a bucket for 2.5 hrs. Mine were in buckets a lot longer than that when I moved all my tanks 100 miles, plus the time it took to set up the tanks again. Since you reused the gravel and (I'm assuming) the filter from your 75, you shouldn't see a mini cycle.

ct-death

Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Just a quick update to keep this experience chronicled...

4:00 pm (Tuesday) - Tested the water: Ammonia/nitrItes = 0.0 NitrAtes = 0.15-0.20. Did a 15% PWC (P.S. for a 90G is a LOT of water!).

*Watched 300 - For Sparta! :cool-1:

7:15 pm - Tested the water: Same

10:30:00 pm - Tested the water: Same

So far, so good - No burp in the ammonia/nitrItes and my nitrAtes seem to have stabilized after a quick increase from barely registering to ~0.15-0.20, which I attest to the time it took the filters to properly cycle and mix the water. Which if I am correct took approx. 1.5hrs

Yes, same HOB filter ;)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store