euthanization of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
this is wrong.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...llpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=euthenaze&Np=1

Every aquarium owner should own this stuff. It's called Euthanase, and it works. I've used it a few times without any problems. I believe it's just clove oil that is pre-mixed and ready for use.

Freezing, alcohol, flushing, and alka seltzer (CO2 poisoning) are not humane. Blunt force, decapitation, and clove oil are.

i'm curious to see what you thought of the proof showing the painless method of freezing when done properly.

you are absolutely right about the others though.

PDX-PLT

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
Cutting off a fish's head is not painless
Authoritative (Veterinary) sources say that it is, when done properly (i.e., a very sharp knife). Although perhaps not for the squeamish. Not to mention the fact that alot of people don't own a sharp knife.

I don't remember what Veterinary site I read it on, but for tropicals, a good way that works is immersion in ice water for ~20 minutes. The initial immersion knocks them out instantly, and death follows in a few minutes. They didn't recommend it for cold-water fish, however.

Note this is different than putting the fish in warm water than putting it in the freezer. Death occurs more slowly since it takes time for the water to cool down.

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but just think about people who die instantly due to massive SUDDEN trauma in car crashes - slamming something as small as a fish against a hard surface, very hard and fast is exactly the same. "Humane death" is, by definition, a painless death - whether it be "slowish" (clove oil or freezing) or a fast and SUDDEN death. As long as the fish doesn't feel pain (or has no chance to feel pain), all would be humane. I had a spiny eel that got sick once. I did all I could for it, but it wasn't enough - I ended up putting it into a bag and into the freezer. The cold makes the fish "go to sleep" without suffering.[/quotY

You didn't rain on my parade but I disagree with you when a person dies in a car crash due to a sudden trauma that is incidental. When a fishowner decides to put their fish in a bag and slam it to the porch as a choice of euthansia and the blow does not kill the fish and it doesn't die right away and the fish suffers that choice is not humane I am sorry I don't agree. You have a right to your opinion but I still think that the clove oil method or freezer method is a much better way to euthanize a fish.

Cyberpaddy66

Fast Learning Novice
Apr 16, 2007
Plumstead, London, UK
Having had to do in two of my white cloud Minnows recently (they were wasting away from starvation even though I was overfeeding) even after trying to QT them and feed them up, I didn't like doing it but as I don't have any clove oil and spending the time to make iced water for the big freeze would have taken longer I just put the poor little sods in a paper towel and squeezed their heads.

I'm sorry if this sounds horrible and believe me it was but I figured that it was quick enough as they were both very week to begin with.

Just for the record I will be looking out for some clove oil as I don't want to have to do that again.

TAMIOFVISE

I love the Baja
May 26, 2007
OHIO
Ok , I have to jump back in here. How is it so many post about feeding their fry to their fish but think euthanasia for a dying fish is so cruel. To me , having aggressive fish and feeding your healthy guppies etc, and their fry is worse than most of these methods .I bet alot of you go fishing too. Being eaten alive isn't really all that quick if your chased and chomped to bits.Especially with pirahanas. just my opinion.

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ok , I have to jump back in here. How is it so many post about feeding their fry to their fish but think euthanasia for a dying fish is so cruel. To me , having aggressive fish and feeding your healthy guppies etc, and their fry is worse than most of these methods . Being eaten alive isn't really all that quick if your chased and chomped to bits.Especially with pirahanas. just my opinion.
LOL..The irony.

Jun 25, 2007
How is it so many post about feeding their fry to their fish but think euthanasia for a dying fish is so cruel.

:clap: I'm glad you came back to post that. It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

I kill fish when they're clearly suffering and the disease is incurable. I have been using the freezing water method but may switch to clove oil as it seems to reduce the suffering to a minimum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store