Tang wont eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
Alright so i got some "Seaweed Salad", green marine algae for my yellow tang and he hasnt touched it (added him last week).. This is the second peice i have put there.. I know he see's it cause he swims right by it a millions times yet he dosent even pick at it? However i have seen him nip at some of the remaining hair algea on the back wall of the tank and on the rocks. Maybe he's to full for the food or too new? Or maybe i just got a retarded tang..any thoughts?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Or he could be wild caught and not know what nori is... Keep on putting it in there for him daily.. He should find it eventually. You could also fold it up somewhat and cut it into thinner strips part of the way up so it floats around in the current and it might catch his attention more.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Do any of your other fish eat the seaweed food? Maybe if you start a nice feeding frenzy with your other fish he will follow by example. I had a similar problem with my old tang. I cut up the strip into bits and included it with my daily meal for the other fish so the feeding excitement would reduce his fear of the food.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
try adding a lil bit of garlic extreme should get him to warm up to it, also having smaller portions so he doesnt get intimidated, lastly try feeding him algea at night. You can also supplement algae w/ peas, zuchinni, romainne letteuce or emerald entrees or spirulina flakes.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Try fresh red sea weed. Its kind of bushy looking and tangs love it. My blue tang eats it and my blue spot puffer can't get enough of it! It is probably the healthiest for them too. My fish won't even take a second look at the dried stuff...the only thing that may go nibble away at it are the snails.

Here i found a website that has it. I buy it from my LFS though for 10 bucks for a HUGE handfull.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/alga...ured----the-indian-ocean-inverts--plants.html

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Try fresh red sea weed. Its kind of bushy looking and tangs love it. My blue tang eats it and my blue spot puffer can't get enough of it! It is probably the healthiest for them too. My fish won't even take a second look at the dried stuff...the only thing that may go nibble away at it are the snails.

Here i found a website that has it. I buy it from my LFS though for 10 bucks for a HUGE handfull.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/alga...ured----the-indian-ocean-inverts--plants.html
isnt that just red macro????

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ya its red macro algae...all sea weed is a form of algae as i understand...the red seems to be a fan favorite with me.

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
I got my Kole to eat by using Spirulina flakes. He loves 'em! Doesn't touch the nori, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store