What should I feed my Blood Parrot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hybridd23

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Framingham, MA
I have 1 Blood Parrot that I have had for 3 weeks now in a community tank. I am currently feeding the tank Tetramin Tropical flakes, blood worms, shrimps, and sinking wafers. Do I also need to feed the cichlid pellets or flakes instead of the Tetramin Tropical Flakes? And can the other small fish eat the cichlid pellets and flakes?

The Blood Parrot is only eating the flakes at the bottom of the tank and are ignoring the bloodworms and shrimps, so I just wanted to add more nutrition from the cichlid flakes and pellets for it. I am just worried the other fish are not suppose to eat cichlid flakes and pellets.

I have other fish such as cardinal tetras, pristella tetras, balloon mollies, rummy nose tetras, cory cats, and border loaches.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
wow mine eat everything! pellets, worms, brine shrimp, anything but flake. he loves crisps though. pellets won't hurt the other fish.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Keep feeding him on that diet,you cant go wrong.I have one as big as my hand.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
How big is it? I'd be worried about it turning your other fish into its meal.

As far as food is concerned, blood parrots are omnivores so anything provided is fine.

hybridd23

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Framingham, MA
Thanks for all the advice everyone! My blood parrot is only 3" large, it hasn't really bothered any of the other fish yet. It also hasn't disturbed the 1 month old mollies either, but I'm probably just lucky for now = ) Hopefully it will stay that way haha.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
How big is it? I'd be worried about it turning your other fish into its meal.

As far as food is concerned, blood parrots are omnivores so anything provided is fine.

He is about 6 inches long now.(Tip to tail) And i put a dozen neons in there and he did eat the ones he could catch. So no more small fish :lipssealedsmilie:

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
mine is about 6 to 7 inches as well. he is a nice big boy, loves feeder guppy fry, well if I could throw them in that is :lol: I did once, I felt to sad about it to do it again " yet"

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
He is about 6 inches long now.(Tip to tail) And i put a dozen neons in there and he did eat the ones he could catch. So no more small fish :lipssealedsmilie:
But you also have the cardinals and rummy-nose and I would classify them "fit in the mouth".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store