Clown loach teeth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
So, for the past few months I've been trying to get my clown loaches to not look so startled when I approach the tank. To that end, I started patiently holding an algae wafer below the water surface, to see if they'd come eat it from my fingers.
Well, they quickly grew from shy to very very bold.:grinyes:
Now, they'll easily come nibble at the algae wafer when I hold it in the water, which is cool, but they also seem to feel the need to nibble at my fingers every so often just to remind themselves that I'm not edible. Now I read online that clowns only have teeth in their throats, but there is definitely something sharp in my clowns' mouths. It feels like a beak. I get a little skittish when they nibble at me because I think they could do some damage if they actually decided to take a bite. What is that in their mouths?

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
their barbels maybe?

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I don't think so. I can feel the barbels, too--they feel soft and ticklish, which is kinda cute.
But whatever is inside their mouths definitely does not feel cute. :headshake2:

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
I hand feed the 5 loaches in my 100G, and it doesn't hurt as much as you guys say it does. They occassionally nibble me, but it doesn't really "hurt". It is just felt.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Maybe your clowns are just nicer than mine. :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Yes, I felt what seems to be their "beak" considering almost all loaches, mostly the clowns and yoyos, are handfed. I have 8 clown loaches here with largest approaching 5 inches ever since I bought them at 2 inches size last year.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure but it seems like they have a sort of really hard suction & whatever the opposite is called. I think of it like the "click" intensified. Seeing the shreds they leave of big shrimp pieces & veggies make me a little nervous offering food by hand. Mine have never taken food from me but we're all a little nervous about it. I don't think I want any U shaped holes in my fingers.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Fishorama, they don't give nasty bites (well, except my tiger loaches). Think of their "beaks" as only a blunt knife rather than those of the puffers.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
My largest is also in the 5 inch range, and the other three are about 2.5 to 3 inches. It's the three smaller ones that are the most aggressive toward my fingers. They seem convinced that there'd be more food in there somewhere if they could only get a good bite. And now, when I flinch and pull my hand back, they don't even run away anymore--they chase me! They're like, "Hey! Live food!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store