Filament Glassfish <---- Cool fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Article from Practical Fishkeeping..... How cool is this fish...???

Filament glassfish, Threadfin glassfish

Matt Clarke explains how to keep the stunning Filament glassfish, Threadfin glassfish.

1.jpg

Common name: Filament glassfish, Threadfin glassfish.
Scientific name: Gymnochanda filamentosa, Boeseman, 1957.
Origin: Indonesia and Malaysia. Recorded from Sungai Melawi and Kapuas in Borneo, and from southern Malaysia.
Size: Small at about 4cm long.
Diet: Glassfish don't usually take flake that readily, so offer these small live or frozen foods, such as Daphnia, Cyclops, microworm and bloodworm.
Water: While some glassfish are found in slightly brackish waters, this species is from the opposite – soft, acidic blackwaters.
That said, I've seen it kept successfully in harder water, and there are also reports of it surviving life in brackish aquaria. It may well be found in a range of habitats in nature. Go for a pH of 6-7, with a hardness of 1-8˚GH.

2.jpg

Aquarium: These are relatively shy and tricky to keep, so it's best to avoid them if you don't have prior experience with the more picky chandids. I'd go for a group of six or more in a quiet, densely planted aquarium.
Set this up either as a species tank or as a community containing a few small, peaceful tankmates that are unlikely to nip its long fins – blackwater rasboras would be ideal.
Females lack the blue-tipped filaments on their fins seen in males.
Previous imports of this species have often been made up almost entirely of male fish.

3.jpg

Notes: There are three species in the Gymnochanda genus: G. filamentosa, G. flamea and G. limi.
Availability: These are one of the most sought-after glassfishes and are very rarely seen for sale. They're starting to reappear in the trade after years of absence. These were spotted at Maidenhead Aquatics @ Oxford.
Price: These were on sale for £4 ( $8 ) each.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Those are cool! Are they compatible with your guppies? :lipssealedsmilie:

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Nice. Threadfin rainbows would look well with them =P

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Very cool fish!

Glad to have you posting on "lighter" topics... ;)

Those are cool! Are they compatible with your guppies? :lipssealedsmilie:
:rofl:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
:grinyes: After reading thru the other threads on his guppies, I could not resist!

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
I LOVE Practical Fish Keeping. I don't really thing the US has anything like it... bummer. I wish we did - that site is soooooo interesting/informative/useful! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store