Flourish Excel IS Glutaraldehyde

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
OK, I finally got around to playing with some figures ...

Let's take 2.5% glutaraldehyde, for a real world example. It seems the most widely available product, and we can scale other strengths if necessary.

2.5% per liter = 2500mg per 1000ml (1 liter)
= 250mg per 100ml
= 25 mg per 10ml
= 2.5mg per ml

10 US Gallons = 37.85 liters.

If were were to add 1ml of the 2.5% solution to a 37.85 liter tank (10 US Gallon) tank, we would have 0.066mg per liter or 0.066ppm concentration in our aquarium. Since the MSDS on glutaraldehyde states that toxic effects can be noted, with very sensitive species, at .1ppm on up (and yes, we can see that, at the amount we use in our aquariums, it kills the algae, doesn't it?)

So, if we were to add 2ml of 2.5% glutaraldehyde to a 37.85 liter aquarium, we would have have 1.32ppm (1.32mg per liter) -- 1.5ml of this 2.5% glutaraldehyde to 37.85 liters would give us .099ppm, or just a hair below any observed harm to biological organisms (should not even show any harm to algae.)

I would think a 2ml per 10g first addition, with 1.5ml additions every day, or every other day would be fine (and, I suspect that the higher 1.32mg/ppm is even below the recommended dosage of Flourish Excel--but DON'T take MY GUESS as any sort of proof!

jmhart, being a chemist, please check and double check my figures, let's correct any errors I have made--others are welcomed to do the same also ... thanks in advance.

Regards,
JS

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Assuming Excel is 2.5%, then yes Seachem initial dose is 5ml per 10gal, and 1ml per 10gal every day after.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Assuming Excel is 2.5%, then yes Seachem initial dose is 5ml per 10gal, and 1ml per 10gal every day after.
Well, I think that is a lot of "assuming", however, I also think you VERY close to be correct ... let's wait until we hear from jmhart--he always has some interesting comments which can disclose facts not immediately apparent ...

Regards,
JS

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Well, I think that is a lot of "assuming", however, I also think you VERY close to be correct ... let's wait until we hear from jmhart--he always has some interesting comments which can disclose facts not immediately apparent ...

Regards,
JS
You know, I can't believe that, actually, I "skated" the important 'point' which your post implied -- if you suspect that SeaChem--Flourish Excel, is only 2.5% glutaraldehyde "re-bottled" and sold to us at a GOOD MARKUP PRICE, at this point, I tend to agree with you ... thanks for that post!

BUT, and that is an IMPORTANT BUT! There is no data I can find to substantiate that ... at the present time. Until then, someone can accuse me of 'guessing' and be quite correct ...

Regards,
JS

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
OK, I skimmed that (it is a lot to read) is there any thing you would like to specifically quote, which you feel is something necessary to bring to my/our attention.

Yes, it is toxic in sufficient quantities (what isn't?), however, everything I have seen seems to imply it is quickly neutralized when it interacts with the such of algae or other water organisms and becomes just "carbon and water" (or, carbon, hydrogen and oxygen--and, nothing warranting concern.)

You will need to site specific dangers you have seen, read, or visualize. As, a skimming of that paper only tells me what I already know.

You do realize that, a material IS deemed environmentally "dangerous" if it just accelerates plant growth to a state remarkable above "the normal", right?

Personally, in my own aquariums, I DO NOT consider this even close to "dangerous!" Indeed, 99.999+ percent of the time I consider it a benefit!

But, please, continue and educate me ... at this point I just don't see the "danger" you imply ...

Regards,
JS
:confused:

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
I posted the article because I thought you might like to glance over it.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
You know, I can't believe that, actually, I "skated" the important 'point' which your post implied -- if you suspect that SeaChem--Flourish Excel, is only 2.5% glutaraldehyde "re-bottled" and sold to us at a GOOD MARKUP PRICE, at this point, I tend to agree with you ... thanks for that post!

BUT, and that is an IMPORTANT BUT! There is no data I can find to substantiate that ... at the present time. Until then, someone can accuse me of 'guessing' and be quite correct ...

Regards,
JS
Actually, SeaChem is about the same price vai Big als as say most of the products sold on say ebay if you figure it the massive shipping cost for such products.

You are not getting anything cheaper, and Excel is NOT 2.5% BTW.
So it's neither cheaper, nor is the chemical analysis correct.
Done looked, tested and know.

Regards,
Tom Barr

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Actually, SeaChem is about the same price vai Big als as say most of the products sold on say ebay if you figure it the massive shipping cost for such products.

You are not getting anything cheaper, and Excel is NOT 2.5% BTW.

Regards,
Tom Barr
In my area, Flourish Excel is ~$12.00 per 100ml ... this is NOT cheap by any means ... but ****, where are you buying your supplies at (what state, city?)

Regards,
JS

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008

Excel is NOT 2.5% BTW.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Really? Can you quote the source you obtained that data from?

I can buy 50% glutaraldehyde for a reasonable price, diluted to 2.5%, that is a LOT!

Regards,
JS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store