Assassin Snails and what I have learned

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I'm sure I heard of the Assassin in 2006 and back then, it was still commonly referred to as Clea helena. The Tylomelanias as well as the shrimp from the same area were introduced to the hobby very late in 2007 if I remember correctly. Granted, Assassins were rarer back then, but it was certainly around before the newer Sulawesi inverts.
Well like I said this is all my understanding and as more information becomes avaiable I will adjust the article as needed.

Just found this real good article on them... according to this there is an African one too.

Clea Helena

Some other info I found interesting...

Assassins
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3 Possible realtive names.
Article 4

Tylomelania
Aritcle 1 Which by the way shows the first study date of 1999
Article 2 Oct 2001

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I just want to say it is great having this disscussion with you guys and thank you for all your input.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Motormouth Monks.. good man. He was a big help for me back in my brackish days.

I just want to say it is great having this disscussion with you guys and thank you for all your input.
You're such a bad liar. Even I know talking with me feels about as good as getting hit by a car.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Well like I said this is all my understanding and as more information becomes avaiable I will adjust the article as needed.

Just found this real good article on them... according to this there is an African one too.

Clea Helena
I forgot that site completely. I was reading it two days ago and it was what made me wonder how many species are there in each origin where these snails can be found.

Some other info I found interesting...

Assassins
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3 Possible realtive names.
Article 4

Tylomelania
Aritcle 1 Which by the way shows the first study date of 1999
Article 2 Oct 2001
Goody! I can compile all the articles above among the references and punch in the data to our database so it'll be easy for everyone tosearch through the information. These snails still have very inadequate information.

On the other hand, I'm working currently on one apple snail, Pila conica. It is a local apple snail that never gathered much interests nor study. Applesnail.net even has very little information about it. Just one example of another species also lacking in details but which will eventually have adequate information once I've observed enough of this.:) I just wish the locals can provide us more information of their native wildlife. Someday, I hope a person from Indonesia, Thailand and Africa can spot this thread and pour down all information of their assassin snails.:D

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
No problem, Will. I've been wanting more data of these snails badly, just another reason to quench your thirst for more knowledge.:lipssealedsmilie:

You're such a bad liar. Even I know talking with me feels about as good as getting hit by a car.
:rofl: :rofl:

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You know, I don't compliment people nearly enough (one of the reasons talking with me is like getting hit by a car surely), but good job on the write-up. It's nice to see a dedicated caresheet and information on one species....

On the other hand, I'm working currently on one apple snail, Pila conica.
...especially obscure ones, which is why I'm also interested in this.

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
So I got a couple of large assassin snails a couple days ago from a great mod here. I read this entire posting by sunguru and I have a few things I noticed that I thought I would just mention.

So far both were very active today, I have seen one eat 3 entire snails in about a 3 hour period. The other has a whole pile next to him of empty shells. From what I had read they only eat one snail a day? These ramshorn snails were each larger than the assassins themselves. Does this seem in line with your observations?
I also have found that the sand substrate tank I had just setup for my rcs seems to kill all the snails I throw in it. I threw a bunch of ramshorns in and they all shriveled up and died. Originally the assassins went into their shells so I quickly put them in my larger flourite bottom tank and they perked right up after a day, any idea what is with the other tank. Fish and shrimp are doing fine in sand tank!

Thanks

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Sounguru, just wanted to say thank you for that article - nicely written and very informative. I also enjoyed the Snailgurufest in this thread :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
So far both were very active today, I have seen one eat 3 entire snails in about a 3 hour period. The other has a whole pile next to him of empty shells. From what I had read they only eat one snail a day? These ramshorn snails were each larger than the assassins themselves. Does this seem in line with your observations?
I also have found that the sand substrate tank I had just setup for my rcs seems to kill all the snails I throw in it. I threw a bunch of ramshorns in and they all shriveled up and died. Originally the assassins went into their shells so I quickly put them in my larger flourite bottom tank and they perked right up after a day, any idea what is with the other tank. Fish and shrimp are doing fine in sand tank!

Thanks
Prolude, I also thought my assassin snails seem to eat more than one snail a day contrary to most claims. Someone also debunked the claim saying her assassin snails seem to eat even 4 snails a day but I don't know how big the MTS were that she fed to her assassins.

I have no accurate idea yet regarding your other tank.:confused: Is it compact? Does the substrate bubble when disturbed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store