Hello. New to FW aquaria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
Take them to a nearby lfs.. They usually take even large plecs with no problem.
Out with the clown loaches, the silver dollar (they get big and like to school) and the albino cat, assuming you can't figure out exactly what it is. Does it have whiskers? Is the body of it shaped a little like a triangle? How big is it? Can you get a picture of the ones you can't identify?
If you do have angelfish, either move them or the neons out. Angels eat neons. Decide to keep the neons? Bulk up the school to six.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
You can either post it in the classified here at AC, Craigslist, Aquabid or even talk to your LFS. If you go to the LFS they may not pay you for them but you can donate them to the store.

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
No Pictures. I'll try to dig up the camera when I get home.

It is really too bad about the loaches. I just read a write-up on them minutes ago. I really like them but the tank is definitely to small.

My Suspicion is that the previous owner got them to put down a snail uprising.
When cleaning the filter hoods, I found a couple of desicated snails.

Is there an attractive loach species that would be good for this size tank?

The little albino cat, I am almost positive is a corydoras.

What I thought were anglefis are actually probably not. Thier bodies are to long. You will see when I get a photo up. The neon tetras are definitely neon tetras.

All I have to say about loosing the loaches is "CRUD BUSQUITS" (I likes me some loaches)

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
I spy:
Corydoras aeneus, albino version (fine for your tank, but you should give him a couple same-species friends. They like to shoal)
Blackskirt tetras (the angels I presume? Nice tetras, but they are a bit nippy. Don't keep anything long-finned with them.)
Silver dollar (turn him in.)
Clown Loaches (Turn them in too)
If you like loaches, try:
Botia kubotai - Polka Dot loach, Burmese border loach, this guy:

Botia almorhae - Yoyo Loach:

Or perhaps a smaller type, Pangio kuhlii - Kuhli loach:

Choose one type to include, not all three (there are others you can look for, Lupin should be along any minute to help XD ) and give them groups of at least three, or six in the case of the kuhli. Give them caves as well.

I suggest bulking up the tetra schools to six fish per school- if you like the look of two schools, I believe you can keep them together. However, if you prefer one group over the other, give one school to the lfs and bulk up the school you do keep.
Keeping only one school opens options to including a centrepiece fish - but be careful. If you keep the neons, you must pick a centrepiece that stays relatively small (No angels), but if you keep the blackskirts, you'll have to find a centrepiece that is fast and does not have long flowing fins (again, no Angels).
Hope this helps.

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
Thanks a ton for the species IDs and advice.

All things considered, I think I will keep the blackskirts and trade in the neons.

I think I like the polka-dot loach, and I know where to get a couple.

I will turn in the silver-dollar. He seems to be the most stressed out anyway.

I'll research potential centerpiece fish. Something with some intelegence and personality preferably.

So here is the new stocking plan.

2 corys
2 polkadot loaches
6 black skirts
and 1 centerpiece fish (undecided)

I will remove the common pleco Not sure if I should add any bristlenose with the number of fish listed above. The plecos are pretty self-contained, so maybe. Maybe I will do more research on snails.

Also, How much bioload do other invertebrates (like a bamboo shrimp) add?

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
For a bamboo shrimp, you need some sort of current or powerhead in your tank. But shrimp in general are very low bioload.
I suggest bumping your cory count to three or more.. they aren't heavy on bioload and they are adorable in groups.
One more polkadot loach.. or you'll never see them.

alfbennett

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Washington
So the stocking would look like this.

6 blackskirts
3 corys
3 poka-dot loaches
1 (undecided centerpiece)
2 (maybe bristlenose plecs)
1-2 Shrimp.

That would bring it up to 13 - 15 fish. Seems like to much for a 40-50 gallon tank...
I'll have to think this through a little more.

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
It's fairly full, but you'll be allright, provided you do water changes. Lower the bristlenose count to one, and leave out the centrepiece until you decide what works best for your tank. Your best bet for a centre is something like a kribensis- essentially you should look for a fiesty fish that can fend for itself. Most cichlids fit under this category, just be careful which one you choose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store