Box Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
ladies and gentlemen, I give you the bog box:

As you can see, I've finished all construction on the woodwork. The larger box in back is about 8 feet long and 5 feet wide, and consists of a frame of 4x4s with 1x6 planks nailed in vertically. The stepdown flume on the right consists entirely of 1x6s, and is approximately 6 feet long, and the bog box in front is 11 feet long and 1 foot wide, and consists of the same construction as the larger box. All wood is pressure treated "appearance grade." I will stain it tomorrow for the sake of my neighbors mostly. Then I'm going to have some down time to run the plans by the HOA (God, I hope they don't mind) and work out some of the liner and pump details. Will post a picture of the fully stained box. Happy Easter All.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
It's an interesting idea. I don't think it would work, though, since the sides are made of wooden planks and the bottom is a combination of dirt and paver stones. Anyone know?

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
it would be pretty simple. You'd just need a flat surface to apply the armor to. Simple cover the inside in 1/4-1/2" plywood. and slop the armor on. The stuff dries really hard and completely water tight.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
That sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'd much rather just install a pond liner. I'm going to put stones all along the outside edges anyway so you wouldn't even be able to see the difference. I think this stuff would be better for some other project.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
Alright, I am as far as I am going to get before I move in in August. It's going to be tough waiting that long, but I don't have much of a choice. This is pretty much the finished product, but everywhere you see a lack of stain, I want you to imagine a black pond liner with pavestones (that match the patio) on the top perimeter of the two boxes, and a torrent of water flowing down the falls into a lush bog. It was a rough 4 days (especially for my VERY understanding wife, haha), but I think it was worth it. How's it look?

And here is a picture from the back door of the house, looking out into the yard:

And here is a closeup of the waterfall (I know I need to remove those nails before the liner goes in)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store