HR 669 : CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APRIL 23, 2009 ACTION NEEDED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
If this bill were really about protecting the environment, why would cats or livestock ever be excluded? Between the methane produced by cows, the land used for the culture of livestock, or the immense detrimental effects feral and outdoor cats have on their local ecologies, this bill only serves to send the message that environmental destruction is ok as long as the perpetrators are cute and fuzzy, or if the economic impetus is there.

teleost

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
chicagoland
If this bill were really about protecting the environment, why would cats or livestock ever be excluded? Between the methane produced by cows, the land used for the culture of livestock, or the immense detrimental effects feral and outdoor cats have on their local ecologies, this bill only serves to send the message that environmental destruction is ok as long as the perpetrators are cute and fuzzy, or if the economic impetus is there.
This bill isn't about saving the world....it's simply about preventing the import of future invasive species.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
because of possible detrimental effects on the environment?

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
does the bill talk about plant species?

because plants have a much worse impact on the environment.
The first gentleman to speak speaks of plants. Also they are recognizing that we as responsible pet owners are concerned over our pets and the chairwoman actually speaks about that. Glad to hear they recognize and state that it wil NOT affect our ownership.

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
how wont it effect us if we have lets say guppys or hamsters that we bought for our children the pets end up breeding we would be breaking the law right?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
how wont it effect us if we have lets say guppys or hamsters that we bought for our children the pets end up breeding we would be breaking the law right?
Depends on what "list" the guppies and hamsters end up on. I am more worried that my snakes are going to be affected, honestly, than my guppy breeding program. I have a lot more money into my hets than I do my guppies, that is for sure.

Kristina

teleost

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
chicagoland
because of possible detrimental effects on the environment?
I guess it depends on how you define the "environment". Most people think of air, water and soil quality (and you can't forget temperature these days) when you think of the environment.

I would be more likely to say "to prevent the certain detrimental effects on native wildlife".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store