Zoomed 501 used to inject CO2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CBWMN

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
El Paso, TX
I purchased a used Zoomed 501 turtle canister filter at Amazon for $12 (shipped).
I just hooked it up on my 24 gallon and it works great.
I would like to use it on my 16 gallon (10 gal footprint) and diffuse DIY Co2 through the intake.
My question:
Has anyone tried this?
I’m currently using an Aquaclear AC50 on that tank. I like it but it doesn’t seem to diffuse the CO2 the way I’d like it too.

Thank you in advance,
Charles

chonhzilla

AC Members
Dec 27, 2008
hmm...this seems interesting, post pictures. I wanna see how you do it. I got a zoomed 501 just laying around.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
i wouldnt diffuse the co2 through a HOB, it isnt like a canister where the co2 is catured, and then shot back into the tank. In an hob, the water is going t sit and gor throught he media and disapate before going back into the water.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
i wouldnt diffuse the co2 through a HOB, it isnt like a canister where the co2 is catured, and then shot back into the tank. In an hob, the water is going t sit and gor throught he media and disapate before going back into the water.
I think that's why the OP is asking about diffusing through a new canister :huh:

CBWMN

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
El Paso, TX
hmm...this seems interesting, post pictures. I wanna see how you do it. I got a zoomed 501 just laying around.
I currently inject CO2 into my XP2’s intake. I use a hard plastic tube bent 90 d and put into the intake side. Works great.
I wasn’t sure if it would work with a Zoomed 501 mini-canister filter.
With a HOB, too much surface agitation is caused which gasses off the CO2.

Thanks
Charles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store