Good battery powered siphon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
Hi guys,

I've been wanting to buy a battery-powered aquarium siphon. Most of the ones that I've found are made to remove mulm but don't drain water from the tank.

So, do you guys recommend any particular siphon that is battery-operated and that is made for me to hook it up to some tubing so that I can use it to do water changes as well?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
If you're looking to do water changes with the siphon, what's wrong with the old fashion non-battery gravel vacs? Or a python or even a garden hose? I would think the expense would be less and less things to break on it as well... JMO.

Just never saw the real need for a battery operated siphon I guess.

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
If you're looking to do water changes with the siphon, what's wrong with the old fashion non-battery gravel vacs? Or a python or even a garden hose? I would think the expense would be less and less things to break on it as well... JMO.

Just never saw the real need for a battery operated siphon I guess.
It's easier with a battery powered siphon because I'm not allowed to use the kitchen sink (the only close sink to the aquariums) to dispose of dirty tank water.

I normally use the faucet that's outside for water changes, but it would be less work if I could use the siphon to dispose of dirty fish water outside and then use the kitchen sink to replace it with clean water. Sometimes I like to do water changes during the evening since that's when I have time, but I get a lot of crap for opening the garage door at night.

In any case, it's a lot more convenient for me to use a battery powered one. With all the other things I have to do during the week, I don't mind spending some extra money if it will take some of the work off doing water changes.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I drain my tanks out into the back yard - soon to be into a barrel in the back yard to be used for watering my veggie garden, but that will probably be spring/summer timeframe. A garden hose suits this purpose quite well, or in my case the top-end of the python (about the 1st 2 feet - to where the vacuum end attaches to the long hose) attached to the garden hose. This way I can see what I'm vacuuming out, but still have quite a length of hose to get it outside. The actual python hose I use to refill the tanks while vacuuming with the python/garden hose.

Again - JMO, but seems to be an easier, cheaper method, and does not involve draining into the kitchen sink.

I'm really not familiar with the battery powered siphons, so perhaps someone else will be along to chime in on whether there are any that are worthwhile.

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks. Yeah I want to just be able to drain it into my front yard through the window in my garage. Then I can just hook up the python to the kitchen sink to refill the water.

With a battery operated siphon, it'll be quicker. Plus, I'll be able to it even at night since the way I'm doing it right now involves opening the garage door (my tanks are in my garage).

Why not use buckets and carry them to your toilet?
Nah, I'd only do that if my python were to spring a leak or something.

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
You do know that there's more germs in your sink than in your toilet right? So, there's really no difference. :)
Unlikely, considering what goes into each :screwy: Anyway, using a siphon that hooks up to a faucet eliminates the work of carrying buckets every time one does a water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store