Good battery powered siphon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Is there a NEED for it to be battery powered?

I use a penguin 660r powerhead (about $30) for water changes. It comes with a hose adapter for 5/8 (I think) hose. I can pump water 30' across the house to a drain if I need to.

It won't vac, but does a great job of changing water...

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
Is there a NEED for it to be battery powered?
Not at all. I've just been looking for something that's self-starting.The battery-powered siphons were just the first thing I discovered as an alternative to my Python.

Actually, I ended up ordering something that isn't battery powered, or even electrical. If that doesn't work our for me, I will try out a pump.

Last edited:

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
also... you said you "use the drain outside" to do maintenence on your tanks... why not just hook up a python or aqueon water changer to the outside faucet? that would allow you to drain your tanks and fill them with 1 unit and it would only require the effort of hooking it up
Well, people who live in cold climates can't turn on the outside faucet for 5 months out of the year.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I went to the DIY store and bought some vinyl tubing and a larger gravel vac, ran it 20 feet out the closest window and worked great. Only cost a few dollars too!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
Make sure it runs well clear of the window, my Dad rotted out a windowsill next to his tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store