DIY in tank sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MrCracker2u

AC Members
Mar 19, 2007
I posted pics of my tank and several people asked about how to set up a sump like this. So I will try to explain it.
The tank is glass in this case. The sump is basicaly an acrylic divider bent and siliconed into place. I used a dove tail router jig and cut the notches in the top edge. My Particular design had to incorperate a Berlin skimer, 1 mag 7 pump for the chiller and 1 mag 12 for the main return. It was a very sucessful reef tank for many years until the chiller got stuck on and froze the tank.(there was frost on the glassw anyway) My Ex-wife still claims she had nothing to do with it but thats a completely differnt story.

I converted it to F/W to save an oscar from the certain doom of being released in the park lake. I converted it to a w/d sump using egg crate and more acrylic sheeting. You have to get a realy tight seal to get good water dispertion. I chose to glue it in place to seal the edge that the water flows into. I only intend to keep this tank running this way for a couple more months as the same people I got the fish from gave me a brand new 240gln tank they could not move across country with them.

This sump displaces about 15glns. It has a little over 3glns of bio balls and I run a seperate mechanical filter for particulates. The return pump is hooked up via vinyl tubing and snap lock water jets. Just to note when the water level is topped out below the bottom plate the pumps are louder then the w/d.
It is a very simple project and can be done in almost any configeration to suit the particular system needs. Feel free to ask questions I'll answer any I can.

IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0630.JPG

naddu4u

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
Doha, Qatar
Hi, am a newbie tryin to build a DIY setup. I will be building a freshwater tank of approx 250 gallons, am still trying to figure out what are the important points in building one of my own.... Can u help out?
Can i have a layout diagram of this sump if you dnt mind... it sounds interesting

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Hi, am a newbie tryin to build a DIY setup. I will be building a freshwater tank of approx 250 gallons, am still trying to figure out what are the important points in building one of my own.... Can u help out?
Can i have a layout diagram of this sump if you dnt mind... it sounds interesting
The OP hasn't posted in over two years so I doubt you will get a response - Here are pictures of one of mine, hope it helps!

New Fresh.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

naddu4u

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
Doha, Qatar
Thanks alot, i will be needing as much help, considering this is my first time building one of my own, infact this is the first time am having an aquarium of my own....
One of my friends has a 75 gallon tank with loads of discus and pushed me also to get some to my dumb luck i ended up buying a pair and they hv laid eggs just yesterday.... So i think getting a bigger tank with some really beautiful looking Discus, tetras and couple of shrimps with loads of greenery would look amazing in my Living room....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store