And so........ It begins.........

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

n00b2fish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dude, this sounds epic. Total man cave if you throw in a big screen.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Hey Jim, nice to see another Michiana resident. Downtown Elkhart here. This is an outstanding thread. I only wish I had the time, funds, room, funds and the funding to do this. My personal favorite LFS is just a few blocks away from my house. Not a huge selection but the staff is knowledgable and the fish are super healthy. I would personally recomend Martin's Pet and Garden on 2nd street and Jackson for livestock. Not so much in the way of hardware. I'd love to see this when it gets done. Good luck.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
This is truly gonna be an epic fishroom...I can't wait to see how it progresses!

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
UPDATE 01/02/10

Paint stinks......... Especially UGL Oil Base waterproofing paint........

But it's something that needed to be done........ I wanted to stop the migration of moisture from outside to in, and I needed to seal the walls so the wouldn't attract and hold any fishy fishroom smells. Eventually, I will be doing the entire basement, but for right now, I'm concentrating on the area where I will be building my fishroom.

The wall to the right (unpainted in the photo) is now painted, and I'm almost ready to start insulating & framing. Before I put up a ceiling, I've got to think about wiring/lighting/ventilation........Lots of work, but gives me something to do (like I really need more to do !).....

Minor progress, but progress none the less....... In case you're wondering, that's about 7 gallons of paint (one coat)and 8 hours time. That paint is HEAVY !! I swear the roller weighed 9 pounds when loaded !!!!!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice start!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I am excited for you! I love Big Builds!!!!!!!!! Gratz to you

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
:thumbsup: ... Have you put together a specific plan for what kind of tanks you're going to keep or just going to do a Noah-style "give me 2 of every fish!" thing? :)

n00b2fish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
San Diego, CA
I envision two scenarios...

The first reminds me of that Heineken commercial with the ladies going into the walk-in closet and screaming with joy, only to be drowned out by the guys entering the beer closet downstairs. I can just see your fellow 'fish friends' faces going nuts at all the different species. "OMG, OMG, he's got <insert rare fish species>!! AHHHHHH!!! *tears*...

The second is you could quite possibly have created a small walk-in 'aqua-zoo' that you could charge people a $1 to check out a few different times a year. Maybe that's a little much because you probably don't want everyone in town to know, but I'm sure you could work it somehow!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store