Thinking about joining the army.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, some of you may know me a little from my posts, most of you probably don't. I'm a 25 year old guy who's stuck at a dead-end job and having trouble moving up in the world and/or finding happiness. I have a wonderful girlfriend who I'd love to turn into a wonderful wife, but I don't have the means to move out of my parents house and in with her, let alone pay for a wedding. I've been working 45 hours a week to pay for going to school part time, and I'm miserable. I've been trying to do as much as I can to get myself a more stable career path to no avail. I've been trying to become a police officer and a few other similar jobs and regardless of the fact I got excellent scores on the tests... they aren't really hiring at all right now. I can't simply just wait around for potentially the next 4 years (thats the potential hiring period for most of the tests) and hope someone from one of the tests I took calls.
I need something more in life. I would like some adventure, to get out and do things I've never done before. A fist-full of self discipline would do me wonders as well. I'm thinking the army might be a good choice for me. I've had it in the back of my head for a long time but have always known if I brought it out that everyone that is close to me would try and talk me out of it.
If anyone has taken the plunge and had a similar or differently hard time making the decision please shed some light on this situation for me. I'd really like to hear some other peoples stories.

Reactions: STINKY_FISH_1

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
Brandys husband would def be a great resource, ask him.

Make sure that you know what you're getting into before you decide to go into one of the armed forces. I have tons of respect for our armed forces, it takes an incredibly brave person to join. Just make sure you have the mental strength to get through basic training and the possibility of getting shipped out to a hell hole like Iraq.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
With the army I think you're facing certain deployment and rather quickly. Have you looked into what the Navy has to offer. They have a military police program that is very good. And if my son can get through Navy bootcamp, any one can.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
At 25 yrs old, I'd look into either the Air Force or Navy.

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
My husband is in right now, "ch 47 solider" He would be happy to anwser any Q you have. It has its ups and down. Free home, no utilities, medical insurance, stable job...and so on....

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
My husband's in Iraq right now, in the Army. If the physical part of it's not really your thing, he says the Air Force has the easiest PT requirements. I have mixed feelings...because of his choice to join, we have a great home and great benefits...but he's spent more of our relationship and marriage gone (basic training, AIT, Iraq) and in potentially dangerous situations than home. While I respect his decision and am grateful for the relative financial ease we're living in, I'm going on a year with nothing more than 2 weeks of in-person time with my husband, feeling lucky to get a phone call a few times a week.... And while I may complain because I miss him so much, I at least have the benefit of being distracted with school and having relatives within a 3 hour drive I can spend a weekend with if I get too lonely. On top of them working him to the point he's gone months without a day off, he's basically surrounded by coworkers and superiors 24/7 and has to follow orders 24/7...they may be fighting for somebody's freedom, but he isn't getting any of it. My husband's always been a very creative person, an independent thinker, and for him to sacrifice the expression of that so we can have a secure future together....he's temporarily giving up some of the traits I love the most about him, and it's really hard to deal with even though he claims he likes the challenge. It also hurts knowing that I couldn't do more, offer him more..which is why I'm going to school now on military money. I hope I can score a career type job by the time his contract's up so he won't feel the need to sign back on, so he can take the kind of break he's given me and go to school on his GI bill for something he loves and I can make the house payments. While that kind of hope kind of makes it easier to bear, we're looking at a minimum of six years of sacrifice and, as much as I hate to think about it, potentially his life. I don't know where I'm going with this, as I still am not sure whether the benefits are worth it or not. If he lives through it, 6 years isn't that long in the big picture, but if something happens and that's all the time we get.... I'll turn into a very bitter woman because losing him is the last thing I ever want to go through, especially if all of his time is spent overseas fighting for something neither of us believe is right just because he wanted to take care of me, of our future. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
Breeze, and hannah, thank you for your input. I've heard a few married people talk about the housing thing. Now... in order for my better half to have a place to stay on government money I'm assuming we have to already be married when I sign up? I'm confused and I can't find much solid info about on any of the websites.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
I'll give my 2 cents. No matter what branch you look at there is a definite deployment to Iraq or more importantly Afghanistan. Currently I train advanced soldiers and sailors in pre-deployment Close Quarters battle, Urban warfare, and convoy live fire and maneuvering. And I will say, I'm training people from every branch, even the puddle pirates (Coast Guard). Despite what is physically required for basic, every school in every branch after basic, require higher physical standards than basic does. If going the law enforcement route, don't look at the requirements for basic training, look at he requirements for the schools you want to go to. the Navy and Airforce do have the easiest basic training, but they have a higher achedimic requirement, and even scoring well on your ASVAB for each branch doesn't gurantee you'll be accepted for the position/ school you want. I will say the Air Forces Security Forces, and the Navy's Master at Arms do require a higher much higher level of physical fittness. Most of the Coast Guards role is in law enforcement roles, despite most people thinking they are mainly rescue operations. I will say that the Navy and airforce do have a great education under way program, so the school you are in now, you can complete while serving and getting points for military/ government employment if becoming a police officer is your ultimate goal. If you want to PM me I will tell you everything you need to know, good and bad about being in each branch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store