Thinking about joining the army.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I served 23 years and have no regrets. The training you receive is useless in the civilian world unless you pick a job that has high vacancy rates. You can certainly be an MP/SP/AP in any branch and you can finish your degree in IT. I got my degree in IT by going to school part-time in the evenings. I was a also an instructor at the Computer Sciences School. I became well-versed in many vocations and am a jack of all trades. I have never been without a job as a result.

The military is much like the Police Officer Corp. The strict "by the book" rendition because of B & C's, your circle of friends will be only those of the same vocation.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Wow... I just now realized I titled this thread "Think about joining the army." opposed to "Thinking about joining the army." :rofl: ...oops.

Fixed title for you. Did 22 years in the Navy...got any specific questions, just PM...have a son in the Army now and he did 3 years as a recruiter for them in TN.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
The training you receive is useless in the civilian world unless you pick a job that has high vacancy rates. You can certainly be an MP/SP/AP in any branch and you can finish your degree in IT.
So should I not expect to go in there and actually be able to learn some sort of vocational skill?

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
So should I not expect to go in there and actually be able to learn some sort of vocational skill?

i wouldnt say that. im in aviation i have learned my job but if i want to stay in aviation i need to go to school and get my a&p certificate. thats how most of it works out. you can use your experience and time in the military to get the proper degree and whatnot for the civilian world.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You will learn something useful if that is your goal. When enlisting make sure you are guaranteed the school of your choice. Do not sign anything unless it has the school you want written in. Take anything the recruiter says with a grain of salt. If you don't see it in writing, it ain't gonna happen!

I learned diesel and gas while in as well as IT. I am a ASE Master Mechanic and I just tested out without taking any courses. As far as being MCSE, I took a few classes to cover what I thought I was weak in. I passed that one also.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
I don't have my heart set on IT, but it is what I'm naturally good at. At this point in my life I just want to be able to focus on learning a skill that I can make a career out of. If the military can give me an opportunity to hit the ground running on that path (and being able to pay for schooling would be great) then I think it is an option worth taking. Unfortunately when I was fresh out of high school I completely bombed my first year of college, which is why I took a few years off. Now, with a horrible cumulative GPA because of it... no one will give me college loans.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've been trying to do my research online, and I feel genuinely interested in the 25b MOS. What I can't find any info on is how this all works. If I go to a recruiter telling him I'm interested in that specifically what happens then? How do I find out how many years I will have to sign up for, or if I would even be eligible? Would I be able to be guaranteed something like that, or is it not likely? I can't find any solid info on how it all works, and I'm a bit intimidated to talk to a recruiter without having a leg to stand on beforehand.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
No obligation just to talk with them..they may pester you when they have contact info for you...that's their job. Make a visit ask your questions and confirm here or with other folks.

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
I've been trying to do my research online, and I feel genuinely interested in the 25b MOS. What I can't find any info on is how this all works. If I go to a recruiter telling him I'm interested in that specifically what happens then? How do I find out how many years I will have to sign up for, or if I would even be eligible? Would I be able to be guaranteed something like that, or is it not likely? I can't find any solid info on how it all works, and I'm a bit intimidated to talk to a recruiter without having a leg to stand on beforehand.

first of all i would hold off on talking to a recruiter. they will tell you anything you want to hear. they will say that they can get you this and that but its all bs. i will gladly answer any questions you may have.
if you do decide to join you will first have to take the ASVAB. that will determine what MOS you can get. before you sign any papers you can work on push ups, sit ups, and a 2 mile run. get any transcripts of any schooling you have had. that will help you join at a higher rank. after all that you will have to go through MEPS which is where you will actually sign your contract. contracts are generally between 3 and 6 years. every contract is 8 years, so many years on active duty and the rest on IRR. after you sign the contract you will probably be put in the delayed entry program til you ship off to basic.
like i said, any questions you have i will answer the best i can.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
My husband's a 25B. Because of really great ASVAB scores and a perfectly clean background (so he was eligible to get top secret clearances), the recruiters bent over backwards to get him on, promising him extra college funds beyond the GI Bill and a 20K sign on bonus (payable in pieces over the 6 years he had to sign up for, plus 2 years of inactive duty after)...but this was back in 2007 and they weren't getting many people that were qualified signing up, and they really needed those spots filled. Where he's at in Baghdad, it sounds like there are too many 25B so a lot of times they also end up pulling guard duty and that sort of stuff, but since he's been gone a while we're not familiar with the current demand state-side, and we don't know anything about Afghanistan yet. It never hurts to ask a recruiter...just don't sign anything until you've gone through every letter of the contract and it states exactly what you want. Even then, they'll find ways to complicate things...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store