WORMS IN TURTLE TANK! HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Ok, so I was cleaning out my turtle tank and I set out some of the dirty water for my green water culture. I looked in the botte of water and saw it full of tiny little worms :crazy:! They are swimming all over the jar and they are so tiny,I thought they were dust particles at first. What are they and how do I get rid of them. I want them gone! :angryfire:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Nematodes, maybe? Those are harmless, just an indication of over-feeding. If you can post a picture, you can probably get an ID.
Yep, sounds like nematodes or planaria. To get rid of them you need to do more water changes and spot clean more often when you see leftover food and turtle waste.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I would post a pic but they are really small and you can't see them on my camera. I also have a baby sunfish with my turtle right now and it shows no interest in the worms. Are there any meds or something that i can put in the tank to get rid of them?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Yes there are chemicals but you want to use them as a last resort. If you can avoid adding chemicals to a tank then go that route. Use a gravel vac and suck them out of the substrate.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I wpuld suck them up using a gravel vac but they seem to be free swimming. I can see them swimming all over my tank.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
If they are free swimming little white hair-looking things, they are nematodes. They are harmless and will go away (or at least go down significantly in numbers) if you just keep the water extra clean. Have you tried feeding your turtle(s) in a separate tub? I find that it really helps keep my turtle tank cleaner.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I was thinkining nematodes too but they don't seem very hair-like. Almost like a planaria but just a bit longer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store