4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Here's a thought, why not go to your closest aquarium (not store, I mean like your city's aquarium) and ask them what they do and for pointers? Or just try contacting them. It can't hurt.

mduncan2

complete novice
Feb 14, 2010
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
My suggestion is more fun. But requires the leak to be substantial enough that it would lose a cup of water in the space of 5-10 seconds. So you would need to measure how slowly the tank level drops to work out how much you are losing.

Fill the tank half way or more (higher level will put more pressure on the leak and make it easier to find because the water will push through it faster).

Wait a few hours for all water movement to cease.

Get some food coloring or some other dye in a bottle.

Put on some old ratty shorts and climb into the tank carefully without moving too much water around.

Move slowly across to the window and start squeezing out some of the food coloring along the window surounds. See if you can deteck the water 'moving' out through a gap anywhere.

Otherwise, contact a pool-leak detection company and ask their advice. After all, that is how a lot of pool companies detect where the leak is in the 'tub' of a pool here in sunny Australia.

Such a pity you can't see it gushing out anywhere. And such a pity you can't put atmospheric pressure into your room to see where the bubbles enter the water. haha. :)

Best of luck Pete. And congrats on your engagement. It isn't easy for us single men to find a partner who is so accepting of our slightly obsessive aquarium hobby.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Ill refrain from giving you anymore good advice on your project becasue you've asked me, even tough you have already decided to take some of past my advice in hope of correcting the problem. The fact that any curing tank seal or seals can be compromised by a structure the tank is either sitting on or attached to when unperceived moment is involved, is something that has been well documented, all you have to do is research it on this forum. Albeit, as you wish I wont provide you anymore useful information.
The seal on the window is NOT curing. It has been cured for MONTHS!!! You don't know what you're talking about.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
all structures settle over time, and even a small movement can create huge problems down the line. What he is saying is if your tank is attached to the house, it will settle with the house, and a small movement can flex your tank structure enough to cause a leak. The floor could settle somewhat when the tank is filled, resulting in some flex therefore causing a leak... any number of things could be causing it. I am sure the house wasn't designed to handle the static load of 4300 gallons of water, plus all of the materials used in the tanks construction.
I spoke with an engineer. Standard house slabs are designed to handle 2500 lbs. per square foot. My load is only 450 lbs. per square foot which is well UNDER the max. In addition, the slab was raised an additional 4.5" and is near double what a standard slab would be. I am sure that you are wrong in your assumption that the house wasn't designed to handle the static load of 4300 gallons of water plus all the materials. It is not based on fact.

The house was built in 1966. When I bought the house in 2002, the inspector measured the settling on the house with a liquid level (long piece of hose with water in it and a measuring stick on either end). The difference was 3/4" which he said was normal construction variance and that the house had pretty much not moved since it was built.

There is no fluctuation or movement of any kind. If there was any shift, it would be easily seen on the walkway and driveway that were poured well after the slab. There has been no movement whatsoever.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Here's a thought, why not go to your closest aquarium (not store, I mean like your city's aquarium) and ask them what they do and for pointers? Or just try contacting them. It can't hurt.
Early in the thread, I talked about my friend who has built 135,000 gallon and 107,000 gallon shark tanks who also has two plywood and glass tanks in his home 2600 gallons and 2000+ gallons. My build is based on his, JohnPTC's, TheFishGuy's, VLDesign's, and several other large tank builders. Aquariums/Zoos do not build plywood tanks, so they wouldn't have a clue about what I'm doing.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
My suggestion is more fun. But requires the leak to be substantial enough that it would lose a cup of water in the space of 5-10 seconds. So you would need to measure how slowly the tank level drops to work out how much you are losing.

Fill the tank half way or more (higher level will put more pressure on the leak and make it easier to find because the water will push through it faster).

Wait a few hours for all water movement to cease.

Get some food coloring or some other dye in a bottle.

Put on some old ratty shorts and climb into the tank carefully without moving too much water around.

Move slowly across to the window and start squeezing out some of the food coloring along the window surounds. See if you can deteck the water 'moving' out through a gap anywhere.

Otherwise, contact a pool-leak detection company and ask their advice. After all, that is how a lot of pool companies detect where the leak is in the 'tub' of a pool here in sunny Australia.

Such a pity you can't see it gushing out anywhere. And such a pity you can't put atmospheric pressure into your room to see where the bubbles enter the water. haha. :)

Best of luck Pete. And congrats on your engagement. It isn't easy for us single men to find a partner who is so accepting of our slightly obsessive aquarium hobby.
The leak exits from under the tank and is at such a slow rate that your idea, which has been suggested before, won't work. Neither will thermal imaging or any other means to magically see where the leak is coming from.

I've applied a significant additional amount of coating, so I don't think that's where the problem is. Partitioning off the window with visquene and 1x2s then refilling will give me a clear picture if it's the window. One thing that I didn't do that I had planned to was to put a frame on the inside of the tank over the edge of the window. I may do that if the test is successful.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The seal on the window is NOT curing. It has been cured for MONTHS!!! You don't know what you're talking about.
My only concern was that you don't have a catastrophic tank failure and someone gets hurt.

That aside I diden't know you were recently engaged, congratulations, I truly hope the relationship last.:thm:

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
It's really hard to keep track of this incredibly long thread... So what if I made an obvious mistake somewhere along it's lengthy life?

Maybe people should just stop replying with any suggestions or anything at all if you're going to continue to bite their heads off. I'm taking this off watch. There's too much to do in life than continue to concern myself with you.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
My only concern was that you don't have a catastrophic tank failure and someone gets hurt.

That aside I diden't know you were recently engaged, congratulations, I truly hope the relationship last.:thm:
There's not going to be a catastrophic tank failure. It's a minor leak, but a leak nonetheless. The tank is solid and doesn't creak at all, exhibit any settling, twisting, or other movement when filling. With the exception of the cutouts and the window, it's a solid 6+" thick walled wooden box.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store