Bought some mollies, question on how much salt to add?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Looking at all the pretty molly pics here was too much for me, I gave into temptation and bought a pair yesterday. I didn't want to add salt to my 29, because I thought it could possibly be bad for my albino bn pleco. But I did add a tablespoon of API aquarium salt yesterday. I'd like to eventually wean the mollies off salt altogether. For now, if I add a teaspoon to every 4 gallon water change, would that be okay for all the fish? Is salt okay for plecos? And I would just gradually stop adding salt altogether, as long as the mollies don't show signs of stress. Right now they look great. They are black lyretail/high fin mollies.

(No, I didn't quarantine, but I did move most of the other fish into other tanks for now)

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Looking at all the pretty molly pics here was too much for me, I gave into temptation and bought a pair yesterday. I didn't want to add salt to my 29, because I thought it could possibly be bad for my albino bn pleco. But I did add a tablespoon of API aquarium salt yesterday. I'd like to eventually wean the mollies off salt altogether. For now, if I add a teaspoon to every 4 gallon water change, would that be okay for all the fish? Is salt okay for plecos? And I would just gradually stop adding salt altogether, as long as the mollies don't show signs of stress. Right now they look great. They are black lyretail/high fin mollies.

(No, I didn't quarantine, but I did move most of the other fish into other tanks for now)
Hi. They don't need salt. Aquarium salt doesn't replicate brackish/marine conditions anyway, and is best used as a medication/marinade.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
There's a common misconception that livebearers 'like a little salt'. It's true in some instances, but for the most part, captive bred livebearers are far removed from their brackish counterparts. Aquarium salt is basically kosher salt.

Even if one decides to go brackish it should be done with the proper marine salt mix and a hydrometer.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks for the replies so far.

Did the mollies have salt in their tanks at the LFS? Salt isn't a necessity when it comes to dealing with mollies!

Yes, I asked, and they did. They put salt in their whole filtration system in an effort to keep ich away, so they said. I should have said that the main reason I added salt was so they might acclimate more easily. I have been asking here before if salt was necessary, and was told no by most, but then members would go on to say they had salt in their tanks anyway. I am definitely hoping to be salt-free very quickly. I should be fine then if I add no more salt?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I Have tried both adding salt, and not adding salt in my molly tank, and neither way seemed to make any diference at all. I agree with what pretty much everyone else said here, they really don't need it. I also have BN plecos in with my sailfin molly now, and plecos do not do well with salt from what I understand, so I don't add it. I was curious though, when you say you bought a pair, do you mean a male and female, or just 2 of one sex? I only ask because if it is male and female, you might want to consider adding another female. I used to have one male and one female, and my male literally tortured her to death chasing her around wanting to umm do the deed with her 24/7. From what I have gathered, that is not uncommon with any live bearers, so it is almost always better to have a more female than male ratio so that the male doesn't constantly bother one female. Anyway, congrats and good luck with your new fishies. - Ash

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
There's a common misconception that livebearers 'like a little salt'. It's true in some instances, but for the most part, captive bred livebearers are far removed from their brackish counterparts. Aquarium salt is basically kosher salt.

Even if one decides to go brackish it should be done with the proper marine salt mix and a hydrometer.
Yes, I asked, and they did. They put salt in their whole filtration system in an effort to keep ich away, so they said. I should have said that the main reason I added salt was so they might acclimate more easily. I have been asking here before if salt was necessary, and was told no by most, but then members would go on to say they had salt in their tanks anyway. I am definitely hoping to be salt-free very quickly. I should be fine then if I add no more salt?
its just like jetajockey said. the salt they are using is to make sure their fish looks healthy and help prevent diseases since they cant properly qt everything. once again aquarium salt doesnt equal brackish. so its fine not to put salt in their new tank.

there is a lot of misconceptions in the hobby. there are many people who just dont know any better yet. explains why most say no to salt yet some use it anyways.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks, everyone! I won't add any more salt to the tank.

Ash, you make a good point. I bought a male and a female. The male is in fact chasing the female already. I am waiting to make sure these mollies do well before getting another female. If all goes well, I'll get another this week. They are still doing great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store