Betta in an aquarium with sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
he's pretty!

the 3 male bettas i mentioned each had their own 10 gallon tank. i would NEVER put two male bettas in the same tank.

it really wasn't that hard to have three 10 gallons, one 20 gallon, two 2 gallons, and one 1.5 gallon. you just need to get on a water change schedule and stick with it. nowadays, with my two 55's, one 2.5, and soon to be set up 20 gallon, it takes the same amount of time as my previous tanks.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Interesting. I don't have any python water changing equipment, so having to put water with water conditioner in buckets, heated up until aquarium temp then only am I able to make a water change. Hence why I guess I find it a ball ache at times.:pc:

Anyway's I think I had a mis-typo on pH level. It's actually 6.4

Must be due to the driftwood. Anyway, it's ideal anyway.

Yeh, my wife wanted a fish with more 'characteristic' since we lost out oranda goldfish. So she's picked little Brucey! Well, he's all flared up on his first day I guess trying to show who's the BOSS! Lol...

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've never used a python or equivalent system for doing water changes. it's all buckets and 2gal tubs, lol.

why do you have to heat up the water in the buckets? why not mix hot and cold right from the tap to get the appropriate temperature?

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
i've never used a python or equivalent system for doing water changes. it's all buckets and 2gal tubs, lol.

why do you have to heat up the water in the buckets? why not mix hot and cold right from the tap to get the appropriate temperature?
The property has a hot water storage tank. Therefore, unsure what metal properties are stored with the tank. Reading from websites, many suggest not to use hot water directly from the taps?

I have also always thought that water conditioners need several hours to set properly to clear ammonia/chloramine/chlorine/heavy metal/etc?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if your water is considered safe to drink then i would go ahead and use the hot/cold mix from the tap. as long as your hot water tank isn't ancient and gets serviced/cleaned on a regular basis then i wouldn't worry too much about sediment or metal build-up.

i live in an apartment building that is 27 years old and the exact same boilers are heating the water here from day one. i don't worry about it at all.

as for dechlor, it does its work in minutes. when i'm refilling tanks i use a 2gal tub, fill it in the sink, dose my Prime, give it a swirl, and into the tank it goes. been doing this since my first betta three years ago.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
if your water is considered safe to drink then i would go ahead and use the hot/cold mix from the tap. as long as your hot water tank isn't ancient and gets serviced/cleaned on a regular basis then i wouldn't worry too much about sediment or metal build-up.

i live in an apartment building that is 27 years old and the exact same boilers are heating the water here from day one. i don't worry about it at all.

as for dechlor, it does its work in minutes. when i'm refilling tanks i use a 2gal tub, fill it in the sink, dose my Prime, give it a swirl, and into the tank it goes. been doing this since my first betta three years ago.
:eek:mg:man! i've been letting the water to either sit on room temp or ensuring it's heated up with heater all these years. Well, 3 years to be exact.

Lol...well, if my wife finds out this, she'll be laughing at my face and also giving me a ticking cause it was sort off my fault that we lost the oranda as I was SO SO SO busy that I didn't have the opportunity to change his aquarium water for nearly a month.:uhoh:

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Looks like you have had some wonderful help, so I really do not have much to add.

Just wanted to say you did a great job on the tank, it looks wonderful....and Bruce is gorgeous!!!!!

:eek:mg:man! i've been letting the water to either sit on room temp or ensuring it's heated up with heater all these years. Well, 3 years to be exact.

Lol...well, if my wife finds out this, she'll be laughing at my face and also giving me a ticking cause it was sort off my fault that we lost the oranda as I was SO SO SO busy that I didn't have the opportunity to change his aquarium water for nearly a month.:uhoh:
:D

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Looks like you have had some wonderful help, so I really do not have much to add.

Just wanted to say you did a great job on the tank, it looks wonderful....and Bruce is gorgeous!!!!!

:D
Thanks a million. Lol, wife chose the fish and the name Brucey since it's more of 'her' pet but I do all the work!:headshake2:

But I owed her since I was to be blamed for the oranda.:lol2:

Deffo! Some really great advice here. Thanking everyone. :woot:

But special thanks to BFM though!:thm:

betta blue

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2017
sand is just fine for bettas. i have my mr betta in a lil 2.5 planted tank with play sand and he has had no issues whatsoever since i set the tank up this spring.
I was told by petco that sand was the best thing for bettas so I used white sand (as in florida siesta key white sand). Do you think that is okay?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store