Water Change Technique

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
I vaccum the gravel, removing about 20% of the water, and then begin to fill my two 5 gallon home depot buckets with tap water. I put a couple of capfuls of stress coat in each bucket, wait for a minute or two while I re-arrange any driftwood or plants I may have disturbed, and then put the new fresh water in one bucket at a time. I've been a little skeptical about the python, because of the dechlorinator issue. After reading the posts here I am beginning to feel better about it. It would definitely be easier.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I use the bucket brigade method for water changes. I add the declor to the bucket first and assume that diluting 5 ml with 5 gal will adequately mix. Temp is done with thermometer. The buckets are heavy and sometimes splash. I have thought about getting a pump instead of pouring. The python scares me, since my water source is in a different room then the tanks. I am afraid the hose would come out and flood. I make a big enough mess when I pour.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I was wondering how people pour their buckets into the tanks without churning everything up real bad.

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
I was wondering how people pour their buckets into the tanks without churning everything up real bad.

You carefully catch the lip of the bucket to the top edge of the tank, lift up the bottom of the bucket with one hand and pour the water on to your other hand that is in the tank.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I wonder what the most affordable/useful pump would be for emptying buckets back into the tank. Maybe one of those battery powered syphons.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
I use a DIY filler tube that attaches to my faucet.

I pump out 50% of the tank water using my FX5.

I add prime to the tank first treating the whole volume of
the tank, then add tap water straight to the tank.

Done that for years and has worked out far better than buckets lol. Lot less back pain :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'm one of those folks thats paranoid about tapwater going straight into my tank too. mind you, my tap water does have chloramine, and quite a lot of it (sometimes the water will smell a bit 'swimming pool').

to keep the splash factor down, and to make it easier and less painful to refill tanks, i have a couple of 2 gallon (approx) rectangular tubs that fit nicely in the sink. fill those up with water that is temperature matched to the tank water, dose my Prime, swirl the water around a bit, and pour them into the tank.

refilling a 55 gallon this way can be a bit time consuming, lol, but it keeps my mind at ease knowing there is no chloramine touching my fish.

quickvic

Rookie but learning
Oct 17, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Vic
I add directly from the sink with tap water,
never had a problem. I do about a 30& water change every week and a half or so. never had a problem with the water straight from the tap.

quickvic

Rookie but learning
Oct 17, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Vic
wouldn't spend a ton of money on a pump. I use the had squeeze one to empty, 4 or 5 pumps and it flows very fast, I just hang the other end out my window.. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store