Water Change Technique

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
I just add the prime to the bucket of water and mix... Never had issues :p you owned a 10,000+g salt setup? Wow that's big :)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
My pH is way too low to even think about adding fresh water directly to the tank. I have to age with crushed coral first and then do a water change.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I do the python thing too. Dechlor and tap water directly to the tank. Just make sure to watch your temperature when adding new water. I just hand check it to where it feels close.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I also just add the water directly to my aquariums from the sink. I check it to make sure the temp is very close first. I don't have to dechlorinate, but if I did, I'd just add that in first when I was starting to fill. I have a "fish sink" that I use for this purpose, and I've actually put marks on the faucet of where to turn the knobs to, that gives me a rough estimate of about where the right temp is.
Unless you have extremely sensitive fish, I wouldn't worry so much.

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
I do the python thing too. Dechlor and tap water directly to the tank. Just make sure to watch your temperature when adding new water. I just hand check it to where it feels close.
Ditto! :iagree:and manage water temp with digital thermometer during refill

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Does your tap pH change much after aerating it for 24 hours? Luckily mine doesn't so I just do the python/dechlor. Discus keepers are the only ones I know that really worry since they tend to do very big WCs (& like to obsess lol). Dissolved CO2 can temporarily lower the pH & it goes up as the CO2 off gases.

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
I do weekly 50% water changes using the python. I dose prime for the full amount of water in the tank and then refill straight from the tap. I have never had a prbblem in 4 years of keeping fish doing it this way.

In the winter I do fill more slowly to make sure the temp doesn't swing too much, but other than that it is simple simple!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store