In 2010 I spent 5-6 days doing waterchanges? (calling all python users)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
When you crunch the numbers 2hours+ x 4 x 12 =

Then today while at work I got a youtube reply to a question I had asked of someone with 8 tanks/fishroom all of which were at least double the size of my 55gal. He said he uses a :nilly:python:nilly: and spends 2 hours doing all of his aquariums.

I live in the UK, London to be precise and realized that we don't have that product. None of my fellow uk based fish keeping friends have even heard of it? And I've just got through watching a few vids where python water changes look like the easiest thing ever.

Thankfully there is a top rated US seller on ebay that will ship a 50ft aqueon water changer to me. But before I go ahead is there anything I should be aware of? And your experiences with this would be greatly appreciated!

*Excited as can be*

Magic_FROST

AC Members
Jan 25, 2011
Pythons rock. Make sure of a couple things though before you start. Sometimes you need a faucet adapter to use for the refill, we needed one but were able to get one generic brand from the hardware store. Second, make sure the water coming out of your tank from the siphon doesn't flood your sink faster than it can drain. If that happens, youll be like our family and need to use the bathtub or out the door in the summer.

Pythons are great for people with back problems who can't tote water buckets.

I cant review the Aqueon, but the python we cant live without.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I usually do not use it to drain the tank...I drain to the nearest bath tub/window/door. No need to run and waste water to get water out, but in some cases once you use the tap to start the flow it can maintain on it's own. AWESOME for filling!

Fittings needed can most likely be obtained at your hardware store.

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
Hmm I just realized my mixer isn't standard so I might have to plumb in a new one which isn't a problem.

The actual connector does it hug the metal of the tap or do I need to by a mixer that has a particular type of thread?

jbowzer7

AC Members
Apr 5, 2008
Red Wing, MN
It is a great product, I have six tanks I clean: 125gal., 75gal, 55gal., 55gal., 35gal., 10gal. On any tank that is higher than the sink, I get the siphon started and then shut the water off for a while so I do not waste as much water(especially when doing the 125 and 75gal.). When I am cleaning the tank bottom I usually leave the water on so that I have better sucking power.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Most of the adapters will fit several different fittings so it's possible that you could find one that would work. When you get your adapter for the mixer (aerator) threads on your faucet make sure it's brass or stainless steel the plastic ones don't hold up.

As for a review of the aqueon one, it's worked well although I did end up replacing the plastic faucet adapter on it with a brass one from the hardware store since the threads on it just flat wore out. I have found myself wishing the flow rate and suction were stronger, but I have a sand substrate and my pleco sucks up a bunch of sand with his food so his "byproducts" are weighted down a bit more than normal.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I've always been concerned with putting the unconditioned water in the tank...even for a few minutes while it fills up. Is that how you do it, or do you put the conditioner in while it is filling?

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
You put the conditioner in while it is filling. For example I did a water change to my 55g. While I'm filling the tank with water I'll dose the amount needed for 55g and let it fill. Been doing this for 6 months now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store