Stealth Pro Recall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I just confirmed the news today at my LFS...they had ZERO of the recalled heaters on the shelf, so I asked...and sure enough they said they had been recalled...very little selection for exchange at the moment...

I am running 2 - 200w Stealth Pros in a single tank, I have no fish in at the moment as it is a recent setup and the tank is still cycling...I was going to be adding plants in the next few days...where my tank is, there is no fish stores, so I travel to do my LFS shopping and typically stay for the weekend...will it be a concern to have no heat in the tank for a few days? Or should I exchange them one at a time to keep the temp semi stable? Also, should I hold of on the plants, or can they go in and not have issues with potential temp drop?

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
I got an email from fosters and smiths telling me 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 watt models are recalled so it's not just the three models that have been recalled.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I got one of these running in my 18 gallon tub. I got to get a new heater and return this one. I was looking at reviews and it seems the one best one is Fluval E Series. They have the highest reviews on the net then any of the other heaters. Jebo has some good reviews also but at the same time alot of bad reviews. Ill probably be going with Fluval E Series. Sad I got the Stealth cuz I use to hear so many good things about it and now its on Recall probably due to there being to many complaints. So many forums complaining about them.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I just confirmed the news today at my LFS...they had ZERO of the recalled heaters on the shelf, so I asked...and sure enough they said they had been recalled...very little selection for exchange at the moment...

I am running 2 - 200w Stealth Pros in a single tank, I have no fish in at the moment as it is a recent setup and the tank is still cycling...I was going to be adding plants in the next few days...where my tank is, there is no fish stores, so I travel to do my LFS shopping and typically stay for the weekend...will it be a concern to have no heat in the tank for a few days? Or should I exchange them one at a time to keep the temp semi stable? Also, should I hold of on the plants, or can they go in and not have issues with potential temp drop?
You should be fine to exchange them both since there are no fish. Just keep the room temp at something that would be comfortable to you.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
One thing people may want to check out, is aquarium kits at Petsmart. Due to this heater issue, any kit that came with a Stealth Pro is on sale for 50% off because they had to yank the heaters from them. This may just be something my local Petsmart is doing, but if you're in the market for a new tank, you might want to call your local store and find out.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Online prices dictate different. Most are the price of a starter kit minus the price of the heater which is around $40. Not saying that some chain stores are 50% off.

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
did you guys need a receipt or not to exchange. I bought mine at a petsmart, but dont have receipt as it was over 6 months ago. dang thing has not worked in while, but if I could exchange it without a receipt that would be great..

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
did you guys need a receipt or not to exchange. I bought mine at a petsmart, but dont have receipt as it was over 6 months ago. dang thing has not worked in while, but if I could exchange it without a receipt that would be great..
I had no receipt since it was a starter kit that I've had running for 8 months. They exchanged it either way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store