Little white dots swimming in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
What size font!?!? :)

My ostracods vary from sub-millimeter to slightly over 1mm, best guess.

Why would you want to get rid of them?? I've seen my shrimp eat nematodes in the past.

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
What size font!?!? :)

My ostracods vary from sub-millimeter to slightly over 1mm, best guess.

Why would you want to get rid of them?? I've seen my shrimp eat nematodes in the past.
size 10 maybe smaller.
Well the tank is mostly gonna be for my fish and also I haven't planted all the plants as well and don't want to put my hands in the tank with (and yes I should buy those aquarium gloves).

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Your fish will eat them for sure; throw a fish in there and see how long they all last. That's certainly safer than medicating the tank.

Fear of creepy-crawlies would be a reason to get rid of them, I suppose. Personally, I find any non-harmful critters in my tanks to be interesting and amusing.

The worst problem I've contracted from sticking my hands in my tanks is duckweed-elbow. :D

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Your fish will eat them for sure; throw a fish in there and see how long they all last. That's certainly safer than medicating the tank.

Fear of creepy-crawlies would be a reason to get rid of them, I suppose. Personally, I find any non-harmful critters in my tanks to be interesting and amusing.

The worst problem I've contracted from sticking my hands in my tanks is duckweed-elbow. :D
It's just tiny worms that bug me as well as duckweed-elbow/arm/hand ^^

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
regardless of what they are unless they are hydra you are safe
(hydra are like tiny anenomes)
in fact your fish will view them as food

the crosby gourami will eat hydra

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Honestly, I would just wait until you have fish and let them take care of it, they will eat them gladly. Medication is just going to throw off your cycle, and anything "natural" like Melafix isn't going to work. Ditto for algae destroyer, etc...just bound to mess up your tank.

If you have the same stuff I have, they won't jump around.

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Honestly, I would just wait until you have fish and let them take care of it, they will eat them gladly. Medication is just going to throw off your cycle, and anything "natural" like Melafix isn't going to work. Ditto for algae destroyer, etc...just bound to mess up your tank.

If you have the same stuff I have, they won't jump around.
Well the stuff I'm using actually did kill off the planaria in my other tank without harming the fish or shrimp.
I found out about this product from a few sites that said it kills planaria and hydra and does no harm to anything except possibly nerite snails (but apparentely some people has used it and their nerites weren't bothered).
I'll pobably start putting some fish in a couple of days after I do some more water changes and get the rest of the plants grounded.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't worry, they're a sign of a healthy environment.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Well the stuff I'm using actually did kill off the planaria in my other tank without harming the fish or shrimp.
I found out about this product from a few sites that said it kills planaria and hydra and does no harm to anything except possibly nerite snails (but apparentely some people has used it and their nerites weren't bothered).
What did you use?

Freshwaterfishguy

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2022
I kinda have the same, I’ve never noticed them before. I just did a water change so I can move my tank to another room and just now I looked very closely and I see these little white specks swimming around very fast like micronisims under a microscope. I was thinking it’s ick cause some of my fish have been dying lately but this has also been my first water change in a couple months cause I haven’t had time. The kicker is my dandelion Molly had been eating these things. So someone please help, I’m very worried and intrigued and need some answers. Thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store