Mystery Snail Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Hey Chelsea, not to hijack but is that avatar a hairless rat? What ever it is it sure is cute!
Now to your post, I have read of people using cc cards so tried it once myself but if the clutch is stuck too firmly as mine was the card destroys the eggs on the bottom layer.
I find that a new single edge razor blade works wonderfully for this, however different methods work for different people.
I woke up this morning with now 13 clutches that I really need an incubator for...:help: but as I said can't find the link.
Yeah that's a hairless rat, she died a couple months ago to what I believe to be uterine cancer.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Yeah that's a hairless rat, she died a couple months ago to what I believe to be uterine cancer.
She is adorable and I am truly sorry for your loss!!!
The ferret as my avatar we lost in March to lung cancer, it's hard to lose our beloved pets but at least their not suffering or in pain anymore.
; )

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
what do mystery snail clutches look like?

there were a bunch of weird pinky foamish things above the waterline of the pond, but I just figured they were some wierd bug eggs. Were they snails eggs?

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
what do mystery snail clutches look like?

there were a bunch of weird pinky foamish things above the waterline of the pond, but I just figured they were some wierd bug eggs. Were they snails eggs?
They may have been a type of mystery/apple snail egg clutch. Depending on what area you live in some could have migrated to your pond without your knowledge if you didn't add them.

These are mystery snail egg clutches. The ones on the glass are "fresh" the others are a little older in an incubator.
Snail Eggs on Glass in 10gal Tank.JPGSnail Eggs in Incubator.JPG

Snail Eggs in Incubator.JPG Snail Eggs on Glass in 10gal Tank.JPG

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
oh yeah that's what they looked liked! Darn I could have had escargot for the fish. Next year I won't tear them up then.

I doubt there are any or many snails that I didn't add, it's only about 35-40g pond and it's covered with mesh screening. (The squirrels have been jumping on it and dented it, crazy pests! lol)
They were sold at petsmart as mystery snails, but they don't label things correctly and several places I've seen the term apple snail and mystery snail used interchangably, so I've got whatever I've got lol.
Thanks!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
oh yeah that's what they looked liked! Darn I could have had escargot for the fish. Next year I won't tear them up then.

I doubt there are any or many snails that I didn't add, it's only about 35-40g pond and it's covered with mesh screening. (The squirrels have been jumping on it and dented it, crazy pests! lol)
They were sold at petsmart as mystery snails, but they don't label things correctly and several places I've seen the term apple snail and mystery snail used interchangably, so I've got whatever I've got lol.
Thanks!
Your welcome!
Mystery snails are a variety of Apple snails. The Apple snail is very large family containing a huge number subspecies. If it's not too cold where your at you will probably get more egg clutches this year. Once mine started laying they haven't stopped yet, I usually get a couple of clutches a week.
I'm thinking my male may be sterile though because I haven't had any hatch yet... I've tried leaving them on the glass and I've put them in an incubator but as of yet no luck on baby snails.

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Your welcome!
Mystery snails are a variety of Apple snails. That makes more sense then, lol. The Apple snail is very large family containing a huge number subspecies. If it's not too cold where your at you will probably get more egg clutches this year. Once mine started laying they haven't stopped yet, I usually get a couple of clutches a week.
I'm thinking my male may be sterile though because I haven't had any hatch yet... I've tried leaving them on the glass and I've put them in an incubator but as of yet no luck on baby snails.
The goldfish ate some of them. I haven't seen a clutch in... maybe a couple months. (And I accidentally squished one, oops!) I might just have one sex left.. will just have to watch I guess.
Though I did just see two of them tangoing before I came in lol.

Hope u get some snails!

I luv that ferret pic. One of my sister's second ferret's was an alibino and she was sooo sweet! Unlike her first one that chewed on everyone lol. She was hypoglycimic or something though and had frequent seizures as she got older. :( She's in the pet graveyard outback.
Sorry you lost yours too.

[And sorry about the loss of your cute hairless rat Ratlova30. :( ]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store