Mystery Snail Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
My mystery snails have laid an egg clutch. I have had bad luck with them falling off into the water in the past to I was going to try and incubate it. I found the sticky and made the incubator but how do I get the clutch off the glass? :help: I tried using my fingers and this thing is stuck on good! Anyone have any advice or ideas of getting the clutch? THanks!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
i have never done this, or had mystery eggs, but i think this should work

get a pocket knife blade(the ones you can switch out), clean it, and get a small piece of cloth/paper/napkin. Place the napkin underneath the eggs to catch any if they fall, and then gently, scrape the eggs of the glass;)

if you don't want them to fall, try getting a mag float, and placing it right under 1mm under the eggs so if they fall , they won't go into the water.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Be careful with a pocketknife though, you could damage the glass. I would use a nail filer or credit card if I was you.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
I tried using my fingers and this thing is stuck on good! Anyone have any advice or ideas of getting the clutch? THanks!
You can also try using a razor blade pressed flat and firmly against the glass, scrape it off as you would a sticker or car tag. Another option is to wet the clutch very well then let it sit about 10 minutes then see if it well slide loose.

I found the sticky and made the incubator
Can you send me the link to the incubator please because I can't find it and am in desperate need of one! I have about 8 clutches currently but have trouble with them staying on the glass, or even hatching for that matter... too much moisture building up on the inside of the glass will make them eventually come loose.

Thanks!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
ive always just used a debit or gift card to scrape eggs loose

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Hey Chelsea, not to hijack but is that avatar a hairless rat? What ever it is it sure is cute!
Now to your post, I have read of people using cc cards so tried it once myself but if the clutch is stuck too firmly as mine was the card destroys the eggs on the bottom layer.
I find that a new single edge razor blade works wonderfully for this, however different methods work for different people.
I woke up this morning with now 13 clutches that I really need an incubator for...:help: but as I said can't find the link.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It's under the Sticky threads on the 1st page of this forum, Here .

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
with 13 clutches i would be culling about 11 of them, because that many clutches is going to yield many many snail babies. each clutch should hatch out 50 to 100 snails. you don't want to have that many baby snails......... lol!

to cull clutches, just toss them in a ziploc and put it in the freezer for a while. once the clutches are good and frozen, toss them in the garbage. the freezing is to ensure the baby snails inside the eggs are dead and won't hatch out.

i use a teaspoon to get clutches off the glass. yeah, it damages the backside of the clutch a bit, but with the number of baby snails coming out of each clutch, a bit of damage isn't a big deal. the teaspoon seems to have just the right curve for me, to easily get the clutch off the glass.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
It's under the Sticky threads on the 1st page of this forum, Here .
Thanks Dudley!!!!!

with 13 clutches i would be culling about 11 of them, because that many clutches is going to yield many many snail babies. each clutch should hatch out 50 to 100 snails. you don't want to have that many baby snails......... lol!
That is for sure BFM!!! lol. I DO NOT need 600 to 1300 snails!!!
However, for some reason I don't think they're hatching out, sometimes it looks as if there has been some hatching but I never see any baby snails and the eggs never get any "dark spots" in them to indicate "maturing" eggs.
That being said, if I could get any out alive that would be wonderful! I can always sell or give away the surplus, OR toss them in the community tank as escargot poppers. :rofl:

Out of 5 snails I purchased, 1 turned out to be a male and is always on with the ladies! lol. I'm starting to think he may be sterile though because of what I mentioned above...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store