Why do my african cichlids hide????????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mattsoccer20

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
Hi,

So i have had my african cichlids in a 56 gallon column tank for almost a year now and they are still hiding sadly... I have 8 in there right now. And i was thinking of moving them into a 55 gallon tank that i have spare. Because its longer and stuff. But what i want to know is why are they still hiding in there 56? Is it because there is not enough of them? Is it because they dont like the tank? Or something else? If you guys could help me out and tell me why there doing this that would be great. Thanks

-Matt

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I can think of alot of reasons, but im sure they would like the larger footprint of the 55. Do they come up to the top when you feed?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A school of open water fish such as Rainbows or larger Danios will make them feel more at ease.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Assuming relatively compatible tank mates, adequate hiding places and good water parameters, I'd go with the school of dither fish.

I had a tankful of beautiful africans in my living room. However, every time I had a friend over, it turned into an empty tank of rocks. :( The goofy little fish somehow recognized me! And apparently decided that anyone else might be dangerous. If you looked carefully you would spot some eyes peeking out of the rocks.

Don't try to protect them from activity outside of the tank. I now have 3 young daughters and my current tankful of africans is not at all shy. I think they are used to the activity and noise of the kids and now nothing bothers them!

Lisa

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
8 fish is nothing. They are probably tormenting each other and therefor hiding. Add more fish. When it comes to Africans, more is better..

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
A school of open water fish such as Rainbows or larger Danios will make them feel more at ease.
I am so against mixing continents in my tanks..

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I know what you mean about that, but dither fish from Africa are hard to find...the only ones I can think of are butterfly fish, African characins like longfin tetras and congo tetras.

I used brilliant rasboras and bloodfin tetras successfully as my dither fish for a colony of yellow labs...however yellow labs are very mild compared to some other species!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
+1 to adding more.

Once I took 9 fish out of my mbuna tank. They other fish were suddenly hiding all the time even though before they were out and about. I added more fish and they were back to normal and out constantly For a 55 gallon tank you could easily do 12-15 fish with water changes and good filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store