Why do my african cichlids hide????????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mattsoccer20

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
Hi guys thanks for all the help. Ill try to name them the best i can. I got them like a year ago so i dont know if i remember all the names.

1 Male OB peacock
1 female OB peacock
1 Red zebra
1 Cobalt blue
1 fire mouth (i know its not african, i had this guy in a 10 gallon from when i first strated fish and i did not know about him)
1 jewel (i know he's not african either)
1 electric yellow lab
And 1 acei

By the way i think the dominate one in this tank is my cobalt blue because he is always chaseing them when i hide and see them come out.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I think we should figure out which species the OP has before suggesting adding any fish. Not all Africans need "over crowding" and not all will appreciate dither fish.
Well Josh I have to disagree. Could you name one species in particular that won't either feel more comfortable with a school of dither fish, or appreciate chasing them down and eating them?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Maybe I should have reworded what I said...I meant to say that there isn't always a NEED. There are other ways of getting fish to become more comfortable and more active. Lots of setups never incorporate dithers.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Maybe I should have reworded what I said...I meant to say that there isn't always a NEED. There are other ways of getting fish to become more comfortable and more active. Lots of setups never incorporate dithers.
That really depends on your definition of "Dithers". IMO most act as their own dithers..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
That really depends on your definition of "Dithers". IMO most act as their own dithers..
I agree, more in regards to the schooling fish mentioned. Plenty of active african setups do not have, say, danios.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
From Africa, but not rift lake cichlids or really the best tank mates for rift lake cichlids.

You have quite an eclectic stocking. A lot would depend on how well the jewel and FM (especially) could handle the increased aggression, considering how things change as fish mature. I'm not sure how you could get the best out of this type of setup with them still in the mix.

mattsoccer20

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
From Africa, but not rift lake cichlids or really the best tank mates for rift lake cichlids.

You have quite an eclectic stocking. A lot would depend on how well the jewel and FM (especially) could handle the increased aggression, considering how things change as fish mature. I'm not sure how you could get the best out of this type of setup with them still in the mix.
Well i thought the same thing after i did some reaserch a long time ago but the cool thing is that (i saw my self) any time the africans try to fight the FM or the jewel they fight back and scare off the others. They dont chase after the ones that trided to attack but they scare off them so thats good :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store