Guess what I got for Christmas? (not good)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
I woke up Christmas morning, after doing water changes of about 50% on my 100 and my 55 on Christmas eve, to find most of my fish dead or dying. In both tanks. My ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0 on Christmas eve, woke up to dead and dying fish and my params off the friggin charts. I have no idea what happened. This has never happened to me before. I dosed with prime in my 100, and with prime and ferts in the 55. I have been treating my black neons for body fungus in my hospital tank. Today, I am still devastated. I lost 6 of 9 Cichlids in my 100, and it wiped out my guppies, I only have about 10 left. All three bn plecos are dead, I only have 5 of 11 black neons left, my albino cory died too. Seriously I have no idea what happened. I am really upset and freaking out that it is my water, so I put a call in to my water treatment facility and the city to see if something has changed, but they are so unhelpful. My husband wants to send water to a private lab to see what they find, because the only thing I did was water changes. My 100 has been up for a year+, my 100 for nearly a year and I have never lost fish like this. Even the ones I could save are in my hospital tanks, but they don't look great. I have 20 blue Briggs coming and 10 ivory briggs coming after new years that I bought on aquabid and I am ready to tell the seller not to send them. My plants in the 55 are doing fine. No discoloration or rot. Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.:cry:

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Wow, you must have been way on the naughty list! Sorry for your loss.
It would seem that something went wrong with the water change.
Can you determine anything different than your previous process, like temperature, conditioner, or contaminated equipment?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Sorry to hear that. Christmas didnt treat you well. I would probably say it is the water but I am a noob.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Gosh, so sorry to hear what happened to your tanks! What a loss! I cannot even guess what happened but if your numbers were off the chartsin the morning, it's possible that they rose overnight due to dead fish? Had you had a chance to observe the tank a few hours after you got finished doing the water changes?

GuppyGirl1230

Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Wow, you must have been way on the naughty list! Sorry for your loss.
It would seem that something went wrong with the water change.
Can you determine anything different than your previous process, like temperature, conditioner, or contaminated equipment?
I guess so! That's what is so crazy, nothing was different. I keep all of my equipment away from everything. I don't use any cleaners or chemicals on or around the tanks. I know a few days before I raised the temp a bit because the temp is really cold here, and the fish would kind of stay around the heater at night. I raised the temp by 2 degrees, and this was a week before the water change on christmas eve. Other than that nothing is different. I feel like I am going crazy, ya know, because I can't figure this out and I have been keeping fish since I as a little girl. My husband can't figure it out either, we are at a loss and I am a little scared. At this point, what do I do with the tanks? Do I just do water changes every day for a few days or a week and then ??? I don't want to kill any more fish.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help and advice and questions because it makes me think of different things I might not have thought of. Thanks again.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
First, I am so sorry for all your fish losses!

I find it odd that you have a NitrAte reading of 0, is that normal for you? Have you tried testing your tap water to see if that might be the problem?

Also, what is your pH, both aquarium and from the tap?

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Sorry to hear of you loss also. I had two adult bn perished day off xmas too. I forget to dose prime after a water change due to a family gathering (unrelated tank to the bn's). Wiped out the tank. Was there something not plugged in heater, filtration, and etc? Any chemical exposure to the equipment, siphoning hose, bucket, and etc?

GuppyGirl1230

Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
It almost has to be the water right? Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

GuppyGirl1230

Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Gosh, so sorry to hear what happened to your tanks! What a loss! I cannot even guess what happened but if your numbers were off the chartsin the morning, it's possible that they rose overnight due to dead fish? Had you had a chance to observe the tank a few hours after you got finished doing the water changes?
I had a few hours before going to bed to observe and nothing was amiss that I could tell, but I should have maybe looked more? I feel like its my fault and I don't know what I did wrong. Thanks for the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store