Really worried, please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Hi there.
I have just bought 3 new goldfish 9 days ago and one of them looked a bit dodgy so treated with salt. I suspected that it was fin rot spreading today so went to the big fish place locally and was advised to use MyXazin.
It says on the bottle to be careful as it stains, but nothing about wearing gloves or anything.
I see it contains formaldehyde and malachite green. Looked these up online and to my horror found that malachite green is carcinogenic.#
I am now worried sick. I split some on my skin while measuring it out and didn't wash it off for several minutes while sorting the fish out. After it was in the in tank i had my hands in AND I HAVE 2 CUTS ON MY HAND!

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
sorry this sent before id finished! I must have pressed enter or something by mistake. Will continue in next post

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
So, continued from above, I am even MORE worried as I still had stains on my hands when i was putting the kids tea out half an hour later and also hubby had carrots on the worktop next to the sink, peeled them and gave them to the kids raw as they like raw carrots and now I am also frightened that the carrots could've come into contact with the stuff if bits of the MG had splashed on the worktop. The worktop is black gloss so it wouldn't show up. I think I wiped it but can't remember. I am now going out of my mind with worry over all this. It was bad enough worrying about my goldfish. Now I'm scared my kids could've accidently ingested some of this and that it's got into my blood stream. Why don't they advise wearing gloves and have a big poison sign on it? All it says is could cause sensitivty to skin. How bad is it and how potent please? Please be honest with me and not just blase. many thanks

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Not all carcinogens are harmful after long term use! Cigarettes and mobile phones are, yes, but some things can immediately do harm. I really am worried!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Mobile phones....lol.

I am sure it's fine. If you are this worried, maybe call poison control and have an expert soothe your mind?

But seriously, we are talking about minuscule, trace amounts here...nothing to worry about.

They don't say anything about wearing gloves because they're non-corrosive chemicals. Did you read the MSDS sheets?

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
You'll be fine, don't worry. Carcinogens are only harmful after long term use, one time skin exposure isn't likely to do anything but sting. Rinse your hands with soap and water and call it a day!

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927220
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925911

The goldfish, on the other hand, are another matter...hopefully you will include some tank stats so we can help you better.
Hi Thanks for your reply. Like I said I am also worried some of the dye on my hands could have gone onto the kids food, or even small splashes could've been on the worktop. i feel so worried, I worry about everything and I am so annoyed that the dangers were not listed on the product.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Ok, I'm trying to be nice here - but you are seriously overreacting.

Do you ever put gas in your car or spray a bug with Raid? All of these chemicals are bad for us and we get trace amounts on our hands, yet we don't die if we lick our greasy fingers with these traces of chemicals on our hands.

We have tons of poisons everywhere all around us - everything from medications in the municipal drinking water (since these cannot be filtered out by water treatment plants) to diesel fumes on the highway. It's unfortunate, but there isn't much we can do except live on a ranch in the desert.

If nothing anyone says will get you to calm down, perhaps you should talk to a professional:
1-800-222-1222
American Association of Poison Control Centers

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Mobile phones....lol.

I am sure it's fine. If you are this worried, maybe call poison control and have an expert soothe your mind?

But seriously, we are talking about minuscule, trace amounts here...nothing to worry about.

They don't say anything about wearing gloves because they're non-corrosive chemicals. Did you read the MSDS sheets?
I did yes, but it hasn't done anything to reassure me sadly. I am a worrier, I am the first to admit that but I am worried sick about my kids now. Why are other sites saying it is a dangerous carcinogen if it doesn't really matter? And what if a tiny amount got onto the kids food? If they ingested it, surely that'd be really dangerous. Sorry if I sound OTT but I know many people dismiss things and say, "Oh it'll be alright". This is in black and white all over the net and I just wish I'd read the damned things before I used it. It has just really frightened me as I worry so much dangerous things. And now I have an added one to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store