Really worried, please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Ok, I'm trying to be nice here - but you are seriously overreacting.

Do you ever put gas in your car or spray a bug with Raid? All of these chemicals are bad for us and we get trace amounts on our hands, yet we don't die if we lick our greasy fingers with these traces of chemicals on our hands.

We have tons of poisons everywhere all around us - everything from medications in the municipal drinking water (since these cannot be filtered out by water treatment plants) to diesel fumes on the highway. It's unfortunate, but there isn't much we can do except live on a ranch in the desert.

If nothing anyone says will get you to calm down, perhaps you should talk to a professional:
1-800-222-1222
American Association of Poison Control Centers
I live in England! lol. I know you are trying to be nice, and I am very grateful to you, and I hope I AM overreacting.
Whenever I put gas in my car I use 2 gloves on each hand and thoroughly wash them. I also never take the kids into a petrol statio. I never use pesticides or weedkillers and when my kids got headlice I painstakingly went through their hair for several hours with a nit comb rather than use the horrible chemicals. We try and avoid car fumes, don't use mobile phones and I never let anyone smoke in my house. I am aware of all the dangers. In fact I know too bloody much, which is why I worry so much. BUT these things wouldn't do immediate harm anyway, it happens over time. Also I do think many people are just blase about things. But I don't mean to be rude saying that. I am not saying YOU are, just that generally people are. It's just with it saying it is a dangeous carcinogen and that you must keep it off your hands ithas frightened me. I should be in bed now but I was so worried I had to find someone to ask about it. if you are saying a tiny bit ingested definitely wouldn't do any harm (Is that the case?? Not just that a bit in the skin is harmless?) then I thank you and I will definitely feel a bit better. Thank you for your time. I know I am neurotic but I just worry about these things so much

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Well, I am very sorry. It definitely sounds like you have a problem that is unrelated to this direct issue. I hope that you are seeking help for this? I can only imagine how nearly devastating these preoccupations would make everyday life.

Looking at this medication, it appears it is:
So it basically is 99.5% inactive ingredients.

All of the MSDS and such are for pure Malachite Green, what you were dealing with was so dilute, it is impossible that it can cause you any harm, which is probably another reason that the labeling was the way it was.

You do realize that levels of arsenic between 5 and 20 parts per million are considered safe....?

Anyway, I hope you get some sleep and feel better soon.

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Oh right, thank you, that has made me feel better then, The doses on mine are actually smaller, but I see yours says w/v and mine says w/w maybe something relevant to the country we are in?
Mine says Active ingredients: Formaldehyde0.12%w/w Malachite green 0.085% w/w and Acriflavine 0.055% w/w
I have had treatment for anxiety yes but these days have to just learn to cope. Most of the tinme I am ok, unless things like this present themselves. The things I have mentioned above are just being sensible, they don't affect my life. The anxiety of when things happen and all the other worries I have, do!
So are you saying that even if the kids had got a tiny bit in their mouths (which hopefully they haven't) in that dosage it wouldn't harm them?
I have actually emailed the people who make it too!
Thank you ever so much for replying, I do feel a little better now, after you've said it is a low dose. So is the actual "malachite green" that used to be used a stronger solution, which is why people are saying it is dangerous? Or was it still just a small amount of active ingredient in a solution anyway, on it's own? If it is the stronger one, that'd explain people's comments online.
I think I will go to bed and try and get some sleep now. It is 15 past midnight here! Many thanks for your reply and any others would be gratefully received if they can also reassure!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
What you are using also goes by the name Quick-Cure. Incidental contact is non-harmful. I use this quite frequently and often get stained fingers from using it. I have been in the hobby probably longer than you are old and I certainly haven't contracted cancer in any form.

Deliberate contact where you do it on purpose for long periods of time as in hours, will likely harm you. It dries quickly as well as evaporates. There is no cause for concern. You will see that notice on about 95% of the things used in the pet hobby because some idiot will try to test it out just to see what happens. This also help to ensure that morons don't try to use this on food and items approved for use on humans.

It usually take s a day or two to get rid of the stain on your skin but any harm it might have caused has been long gone.

I agree you are overacting and making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Always wash your hands with water before handling your fish and soapy water afterwards. Never put anything in your mouth that is related to the pet/fish hobby.

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Thank you for that. (I am 49 btw!) I always wash my hands after doing anything with the fish, ill or not or would never put my fingers in my mouth. It was the kids I was more concerned about though. I think between you, you have allayed my fears though, so thank you both.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Thank you for that. (I am 49 btw!) I always wash my hands after doing anything with the fish, ill or not or would never put my fingers in my mouth. It was the kids I was more concerned about though. I think between you, you have allayed my fears though, so thank you both.
Well, I guess I suddenly got older than I was when I wrote that last reply! Open mouth insert foot, chew, swallow. I hate the taste of shoe leather!

Glad you are more confident with it. The only reason they now put all sorts of possible warnings on labels is because some idiot will deliberately misuse a product, get harmed from their own stupidity and then sues the makers for millions because the label didn't say not to use it in a certain way!

As long as you use a product within the directions offered, your chances of being harmed drop to almost nil. Many of these chemicals used within the fish trade can be quite nasty and in most cases incidental contact will not result in harm. I have a quart bottle of the quick cure to be used at the lfs. I have it as some employees cannot be trusted to use properly or will use it when not needed. Since I sometimes breed fish for them and have no kids at home I keep it and they can come get it anytime they need it. The store is only 1.5 miles from my house. They have kids and worse, they have employees that have all the answers to all the wrong questions! (Except 1, he is on the money and knows far more than I hope to. He recently got his degree in marine biolgoy and has been helping me with learning about all the different freshwater and saltwater parasites)

Last edited:

ikeeptrying

AC Members
Mar 26, 2012
Ah lol. I assumed you were about 90 from your first post!!!

Can I just say though, in reply to your claim that you'd been using the product donkeys yrs with no ill effects. Don't forget, because something is carcinogenic does not mean that everybody who comes into contact with it will be harmed. It depends on your individual genetic make up and your predisposition to the disease. Just as one person can smoke 40 ***s a day and die of old age at 95, another like Roy Castle can die at a younger age due to passive smoking! Some people worked in asbestos for years with no ill effects, others became very ill. Just as in lab tests on mice, not all will fall prey to the toxic substance!
But I see what you mean. I take it then, even if a tiny amount had been ingested, it woud do no harm as a one off. (By a tiny amount I mean a bit left on the worktop that's touched something that's subsequently been eaten) I know you probably think I am round the twist worrying. But hey, I am a mum and I do overworry, and though it isn't good for me, it's better than being the other way round. :)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Due to ill health (long before fish came into the picture) I prolly look 90 and I certainly feel older some days! LOL. Oh well live and learn. I fully agree with your comparisons. I will never say it is non-harmful, just your risk from incidental contact is negligible. If you have a food fish, you cannot eat them if they have been treated since some of these meds never really leave a fish's system. Scary isn't it? Malachite green stays in a fish's system for a very long time. I would imagine like PCB's, lead. and others.

Good luck with your fish! Be sure to stop back from time to time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store