Bottom fish for a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I am upgrading my Betta and mystery snail to a 10 gallon
The current stocking I am thinking is

- Betta
- 2-3 mystery snail

- Shrimp or other bottom dweller

I am just looking at my options for bottom fish. I found similar threads but they are all controversial.

I am very interested in corydoras and possibly Kuhli ... However I know most say peppered cories are too big.

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
A 10 gallon doesn't have much of a foot print to offer bottom dwellers. How many shrimp, and what type, are you intending to stock with? Are you wanting to do shrimp OR bottom fish or both?

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I would prefer to do bottom dwelling fish but shrimp are my back up plan. I know its not a huge footprint ... I can't wait to upgrade again and I haven't even upgraded yet lol. I will have an empty 20 gallon as soon as we move :p But it will be about a year

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you can swing it, a 20 long will be better for what you're wanting. Same volume of water, but a much bigger footprint, so much more bottom dweller and active fish friendly. Rasboras like harlequins and their kin enjoy straight line swimming, it seems.

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
If you can swing it, a 20 long will be better for what you're wanting. Same volume of water, but a much bigger footprint, so much more bottom dweller and active fish friendly. Rasboras like harlequins and their kin enjoy straight line swimming, it seems.
I am puzzled at how a 10 gallon tank has the same volume of water as a 20 long.....?

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
If I could swing it I would just buy another tank but this is what I have to work with. also there is a betta in my tank so I would really like fish that wont bother him.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, the healthiest option for bottom dwellers in a 10gal is shrimp. A 10 is too small for corys, unless all you're going to stock is 3-5 dwarf corys in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store