Water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I know WC is a basic maintenance routine, but what I don't know is when it it has to been done. So assuming the tank has been established for a long time (say 6+ months) and ammonia and nitrites are not detectable. Is it the Nitrate level that triggers you to do a WC? Would Nitrate of 40 PPM make you do a WC?

If the tank never gets to 40ppm of Nitrate then I really don't need to do a WC? That's my case right now. I do a WC because I like to vacuum the substrate (pool filter sand) to get rid of crap on the sand and I obviously replace the water I sucked out. But my plants are growing nicely and I find I don't notice or see the crap as much now because it's hidden by the plants. It seems 40 ppm is when the API test kit indicates a bit of red in the test and I think I can see that. It would be hard for me to tell the difference between 10 and 20ppm. But it seems if it gets to 40ppm, the I think I should be able to see the red color (I've never had that happen in my tanks).

So my question I guess is why do you do a WC? Is it because that's the what experienced folks say? Are there anything other measurements you use that says hey you have to do a WC now?

At this time, my params are good and my TDS is where I want them to be and the water is clear, so is there a reason to do a say 20 to 30% WC?

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I do my wcs once a week(tomorrow is my day actually!). Every once in a while I will test for ammo, nitri, and nitrates in all of my tanks to see where they sit. If they are above 40ppm I will do another wc halfway through the week and start doing larger changes on my normal day. On average I change out 50% of the water in every tank on Sundays. Another reason for me to do wcs is if I have sick fish or ammonia, etc(emergency situations)

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good advice, Mananfel. There is no excuse for 40ppm nitrate except laziness.. I shoot for 20 or less in my tanks, no matter the plantings or at very least every 2 weeks...but I do aim for weekly, there's so much more than nitrate level going on in tanks but that's what we can easily measure. Do it !

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks guys. I just want to minimize doing WCs because I'm lazy. I just like to know what in particular about the water quality that makes one do a WC. It shouldn't be based on time in my opinion.

I over filter, have a UV light, an algae scrubber, use high quality carbon, use Purigen, and have nice plants and no algae problems.

My nitrates are never close to 40ppm, so I'm starting to think why do I need to do WCs on a set schedule?

Can I just wait until trates hit 20 or 40ppm whenever that is. Or are there other benefits of doing a WC?

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
If all your adding to the tank is fish food and your not adding fertilizers, then it very reasonable to go 6 months or more without water changes. Fish food adds boron, calcium, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur and zinc. Nitrogen being in the greatest concentration. What the fish don't consume or waste, bacteria will breakdown for availability to the plants. Plants and fish have the same nutritional requirements as whats available in the fish food.
When you trim your plants these nutrients are then removed from the tank. Since nitrogen is in the greatest concentration, monitoring its levels in the water column is a good indication of when water changes are required. If you stick to the plan, you could go years without ever needing one. Look how long the planet has gone without a water change.

In regards to vacuuming your sand, don't do it. Get some trumpet snails instead, you need the nutrients to move down into and replenish the substrate so as to feed the roots of the plants.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A WC also replenishes the buffers found in your water that helps maintain pH balance. I try to keep my tanks as close to the tap as possible for stability. I also hate to test, so by doing them at a regular time frame is quick and easy way to make it happen.

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
A WC also replenishes the buffers found in your water that helps maintain pH balance. I try to keep my tanks as close to the tap as possible for stability. I also hate to test, so by doing them at a regular time frame is quick and easy way to make it happen.
Excuse me Bob, I learned just the opposite, that the buffering capacity of an aquarium increased over time, resisting changes to pH, and that periodic water changes were intended to reduce the buffering capacity.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Lol...linky please....have you ever studied old tank syndrome??

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
My information comes from a book by Kevin J Ruff entitled "Freshwater Aquarium Chemistry". I found the quote, however I need to review it to see why he can make such a claim. The info is on page 26 in the chapter labeled "The Chemical pHacts"

What can you tell us about old tank syndrome?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Read up on pH and what it takes to maintain it, as fish waste is produced...there is a shift in the ions available. As tanks age and just get top offs, you really are not removing any thing bad. The fish adjust to the lowering pH....along comes a massive water change, and bam your fish are dead...that's it in a nutshell. Search for it on here...plenty of threads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store