Water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kristian9107

AC Members
May 21, 2013
I never check those stuff(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate), to tell you the truth, i do WC once every three weeks. The fish and the plants are doing just fine, one fantail got sick but it is allright now.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I do water changes to maintain the salt levels. Salts are a by product of fish metabolisms. They are also added to the water by topping off. As the fish swim and the water evaporates these slowly buildup.

This buildup of salts can be slowed by topping off with RO/DI water but eventually a water change is needed. Depending upon the stocking level of your tank is the amount of time needed between water changes.

I travel quite a bit for work (France next week, Turkey the following). My tank is designed to go extended periods without water changes. I still don't like to go more than a month.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Every ten days I do 50% on my hundred gallon, every two weeks 60% on my 55 salt, and the 40 breeder gets a small 25% every 4 days.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If all your adding to the tank is fish food and your not adding fertilizers, then it very reasonable to go 6 months or more without water changes..
John, that's simply not true. Maybe that would work in a 55g tank with 1-2 small fish, but for the majority of fishkeepers, this would be a complete disaster.

It's just common sense IMO. No living, eating, pooping critter was intended to live in a cube of water that doesn't refresh itself.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
John, that's simply not true. Maybe that would work in a 55g tank with 1-2 small fish, but for the majority of fishkeepers, this would be a complete disaster.

It's just common sense IMO. No living, eating, pooping critter was intended to live in a cube of water that doesn't refresh itself.
Your are correct Joel. No cube of water could be successful if it is over populated with fish, as the majority of fish keepers try and do.
What we are discussing are triggers to determine when a water change is necessary. We have been discussing this from a nutrient perspective. What are your concerns?

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
“The hallmark of a Low-tech aquarium is that it is easily maintained. Aquariums seem to do well without hobbyist adjustment, maintenance, and cleaning. For example, my own aquariums often go for six months or more without water changes. Fish get fed well, so that plants do not need to be fertilized artificially. The only routine maintenance is replacing evaporated water and pruning excess plant growth. Tanks that are unbalanced need constant cleaning and adjustment.”

Excerpt From: Diana Louise Walstad. “Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.” Echinodorus. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=661029773

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
If all your adding to the tank is fish food and your not adding fertilizers, then it very reasonable to go 6 months or more without water changes. Fish food adds boron, calcium, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur and zinc. Nitrogen being in the greatest concentration. What the fish don't consume or waste, bacteria will breakdown for availability to the plants. Plants and fish have the same nutritional requirements as whats available in the fish food.
When you trim your plants these nutrients are then removed from the tank. Since nitrogen is in the greatest concentration, monitoring its levels in the water column is a good indication of when water changes are required. If you stick to the plan, you could go years without ever needing one. Look how long the planet has gone without a water change.

In regards to vacuuming your sand, don't do it. Get some trumpet snails instead, you need the nutrients to move down into and replenish the substrate so as to feed the roots of the plants.
The planet does get water changes, evaporation. Also nitrates arent the only thing that you need to worry about when doing a water change. It is speculated that fish secreted hormones that will stunt growth if not removed. I only say speculated because I haven't looked for actual scientific document.

As far as just putting excess fish food in the tank to feed the plants goes, the amount of nutrients released for plant usage is so minimal that it really doesn't do anything for the plants and fowls up the water.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
What are you guys all members of the pro water change liberation front?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store